Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349793.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:06:32.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Brinsop and Wormsley
National Grid Reference:
SO 44603 45792


BRINSOP CP - SO 44 NW 4/2 Brinsop Court 20.2.53 GV I

House. C14, C16 and C17, extended in 1913. Sandstone ashlar, sandstone rubble with sandstone dressings. Timber-frame with plaster and rough- cast infill. Brick stacks. Tiled roofs with some sandstone slates. Quadrangular plan with entrance front to north and early C20 range to east. Two storeys with attics. North elevation is sandstone ashlar apart from C18 brick gable above entry. Seven windows. First floor has to left of gable a 3-light mullioned window flanked by two pairs of trefoil- headed lights. To the right of the gable is a pair of lancets, a chamfered round-headed window and another pair of trefoiled headed lights. Gable has four early C20 six-pane casements under a segmental head. Ground floor has a pair of trefoiled lights and a square headed light to left of entry. To the right of entry is a 2-light window with trefoil-heads to each light and a sunken blind quatrefoil in the tracery. Further to the right is a round headed window with early C20 casement and a pair of lancets. Doorway in gable has brick segmental head and two-leaved ledged early C20 oak doors with enriched strap hinges. Early C20 additions to left run into contemporary east range which has six windows, 2- and 4-light early C20 casements to both floors and ledged door to left-hand side. West elevation has to right, restored timber-framing finished in roughcast. Stone gable to left. Massive external stack with four diagonal brick shafts. Interior (limited access) has fine great hall in south range with three-bay C14 roof comprising cambered tie-beams supporting foiled king-posts and principals, all richly moulded. Fireplace has moulded jambs. Window seats beneath moulded trefoil-headed inner arches. Room in west range has ceiling divided into six panels by deeply chamfered beams and moulded fireplace. (BoE, p 87-8; RCHM, Vol II, p 29 - 31).

Listing NGR: SO4460345792


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 29-31
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 87-88


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].