CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349814.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 15:36:22.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 41521 54674
SO 4054-4154; 13/16
DILWYN CP, DILWYN
Church of St Mary
Parish church. c1200, extended and rebuilt late C13, with some C14 and C15 additions, restored C18, 1867, 1875, 1882 and 1904. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings under a slate roof with an octagonal shingled spire. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, north transept, chancel and north vestry.
The west tower, of c1200, is of three stages with a timber spire probably added in the C18. The tower has clasping buttresses, battered plinth with roll moulding and a C18 crenellated parapet. The third stage has a semi-octagonal head, probably C19, in the south wall, with a lancet to the west wall. The first stage has lancets with double roll mouldings. The ground stage has lancets with dog toothed labels set in pilaster buttresses. The late C13 south aisle is of five bays with a four-bay clerestory above. This has square-headed windows, each of two trefoiled lights. The aisle windows below are each of two lights, trefoiled to the west, then pointed to east of south door, trefoiled and finally cinquefoiled, the latter three under two-centred heads. The south porch of the late C15 or early C16 has a tall outer two-centred arch with moulded and shafted jambs. The side walls are of two bays, each with a window of two ogee trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil under the two-centred head. Internally, a moulded respond is carried up to support the central roof truss, the mouldings continuing across the tie beam. The contemporary south door has a two-centred arch and moulded jambs. The outer rolls of the jambs are continued up to form the sides of tall trefoiled panels flanking the door with moulded brackets for statues. North aisle of three bays to west with two windows; each of two trefoiled lights with quatrefoil under two- centred head, with blocked north door between. Above the clerestory are two windows, each of two trefoiled lights. North transept added in early C14 has diagonal buttresses. The north window is of three trefoiled lights with a traceried head under a two-centred arch. East and west windows are each of two cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head. The chancel is also late Cl3 with clasped buttresses. The south wall is of three bays, the western window of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred head, the central one a trefoil lancet, that to east of two cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head. The priests' door to the west of the central window has a two-centred cusped head. The north wall has two 2-light windows similar to those in the south wall flanking the north vestry. It has a simple lancet in the east and west walls. The east window of the chancel has three lights, the outer two trefoiled, the central light cinquefoiled, all under a two-centred head.
INTERIOR has similar arcades of five bays to the north and south aisles. These have two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with chamfered labels which have head stops. The cylindrical columns have moulded capitals and bases. The eastern columns of each arcade bear a corbel to support a statue. The south arcade is aligned centrally on the tower arch, which has a central pier forming the respond of the arcade. This is probably contemporary with the two-centred tower arch of three chamfered orders, the inner order supported on three engaged filleted shafts. There is the scar of a steep roof of the former nave (centred on the tower) above this arch. A lean-to arch of two chamfered orders separates the north transept from the remaining three bays of the north aisle. The chancel arch is two-centred of three chamfered orders, with engaged respond shafts to the inner order. To north of arch a square-headed door formed the entrance to the rood loft, with the lower doorway into the north transept. In the north wall of the chancel there is a C14 tomb recess which haste hollow chamfered segmental-pointed head with ball flower ornament, a moulded label with crockets, head stops and finial. The side shafts have carved finials. The recess contains a C14 stone effigy of a knight. Fittings: C15 screen dividing off the east bay of the south aisle of seven bays to the north, three bays to the west, all with ogee trefoiled and traceried heads. Doorway in west side with two similar heads. Chancel screen, C15, of five bays including central door with a square head carved with monsters, and above a 3-light opening with ogee trefoiled heads, with similar heads to the 3-light bays on each side. The moulded main posts have carved mole heads at the base. The fan-vaulted canopy above is probably C19. The north transept screen, also C15, is of four bays, with the doorway to west of centre. The western bay is of three lights, the other two each of four lights, all with ogee trefoiled heads. The main posts all have pilasters with carved finials. The C12 font is a cracked simple round tapering bowl. The C14 font has an octagonal continuously moulded bowl with panelled stem. Set around the fonts at the west end of the south aisle are pieces of at least five coffin lids with incised crosses. A floor slab standing against the west wall of the nave has the indents of two figures under a double canopy, formerly with a stone inlay, probably C15, with added inscriptions to TR, 1690, and AR, 1682. Roof of nave is C15 with moulded tie beams forming seven bays. The low-pitched roof is boarded and ribbed. The north transept roof is of similar date of three bays with steeply cambered tie beams supporting short king posts. The chancel roof is C14 common-rafter type with straight braces to the collars and ashlar pieces. The brattished wall plate is C19.
Listing NGR: SO4152654670
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 36-40
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 110-112
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing