Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349847.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 16:17:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 39263 51194



6/90 The Ley

20.2.53 - I

House, now two houses. 1589 for James Bridges, with some late C19 and late C20 restoration. Timber-frame with rendered infill on a doursed rubble plinth under a graduated stone tile roof. H-plan, main range aligned east/west. Lateral stack to rear (south) wall of main range and east wall of eastern cross-wing. They are both of rubble with C19 brick shafts. North front of two storeys with projecting gabled cross-wings, each with two-storey square bay windows. The central range has a similar window. There is a two-storey gabled porch in the angle with the right-hand cross-wing. The left-hand cross-wing has a 5-light mullion and transom window on each storey with a gable above. This has a projecting tie-beam and enriched bargeboards. The central bay window has a 5-light mullion and transom window to each floor. The gable has enriched bargeboards and decorated plaster panels. At the back of this bay a gabled dormer rises from the main roof with bargeboards and scroll brackets. The two-storey porch has moulded framing and scroll brackets supporting the jettied first floor. This has a 3-light mullion and transom window. The gable has moulded bargeboards and a pendant. The doorway has a flat triangular head with two carved panels above bearing a shield of arms, with the initials "I B" on one, and the words "In Dei nomine" with date 1589 on the other. The inner doorway has a moulded frame and a panelled door under a 3-pane overlight. The right-hand cross-wing has a 5-light mullion and transom window to each floor. The gable of the window has moulded bargeboards. Framing: mainly six square panels high surmounted by a narrow band of close-studding. The left-hand cross-wing has straight angle braces to the ground floor below straight tension braces on the first floor. The cross- wing gables each have two collars with between them two square panels with quadrant braces. Interior not inspected, but reported to have exposed moulded ceiling beams and some remnants of panelling. (RCHM, 3, p 196-7, no 8; BoE, p 314).

Listing NGR: SO3926351194


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 196-197
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 314


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/04787/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth M Walker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].