CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1349873
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, KINGS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349873.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:51:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, KINGS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Orleton
National Grid Reference:
SO 49434 67174

Details

SO 4967; 10/106

ORLETON CP, KING'S ROAD (south side)

Church of St George

11.06.59

GV

I

Parish church. C12, extended C13 and 1686, restored 1863 and extended early C20. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, machine-tile and shingle roofs. C13 west tower, C12 nave with north porch of 1686, C13 chancel with early C20 organ chamber to north and south vestry.

West tower of three stages with timber broach spire. Roll-moulded and battered plinth. Belfry has a 2-light square headed window to each wall. The first stage has a semi-circular headed window to the north and south walls. In west wall the entrance has a re-set C12 semi-circular head of two chamfered orders, with a C13 lancet above. Nave of three bays divided by C14 stepped buttresses with diagonal corner buttresses. Two outer bays contain windows, that to west of two cinquefoiled lights with quatrefoil under a two-centred head with label, the headstops much weathered. The eastern window of three trefoiled lights with tracery in head under two-centred arch and label. South door blocked, north door early C14 with two-centred head and label. North porch timber-framed with close-studded walls, and open balustraded windows. Gable end has arch-braced tie beam, with two balusters below the collar, bargeboards and finial. "1686/RS" inscribed on tie beam. Chancel: C13, rebuilt 1863. North wall of two bays, C20 organ chamber to west has two trefoiled lancets, to east a C13 lancet. South wall has three trefoiled lancets above the flat-roofed C20 south vestry. East window consists of two lancets, with a small trefoiled lancet high in gable. South vestry has a window of three trefoiled lights to west and one similar light to east, all under square heads, flanking a door with Tudor arch, and square label.

INTERIOR: C13 tower arch is two centred of two chamfered orders. Above it the rere-arch of a C12 window, and higher still the line of an earlier, narrower, nave roof. C14 chancel arch of two chamfered orders, two-centred, with moulded imposts to inner order and label with head stops. Early C20 lancet from organ chamber into nave. Two painted corbels in the nave walls, carved as heads, apparently supported the rood. Chancel has a (probably re-set) south door with semi-circular arch. Piscina in south-east corner with two-centred head. Roofs of nave, C19, of six bays, three central trusses have arch-braced tie-beams with struts to collar and king-post above. Chancel roof of two bays with a cusped collar truss, the common rafters with canted ashlar pieces, and scissor-bracing. Fittings: pews C19, pulpit of panelled woodwork of three tiers with arcaded central tier. Font: C12 of Hereford School, cylindrical bowl with nine-bay arcade, each bay containing a figure, one identifiable as St Peter with key. Fragments of C14 stained glass in north-east nave window, including heads of priest and female saint.

Listing NGR: SO4943567174

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150128
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 155-157
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 265-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11459/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].