Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of LEVENS HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350017.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:30:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Lakeland (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 49532 85091


SD 48 NE LEVENS A6 (off West side)

1/28 Levens Hall (Formerly listed as 21.11.52. Levens Hall with Old Stables and entrance gate piers)

G.V. I

House and attached service wings forming courtyard to rear. Mainly C16 for the Bellingham family with earlier (probably C14) core. Extensively remodelled in late C17 for Colonel James Graham (his initials and dates in 1690s on lead rainwater heads) some later alterations and additions for Mary Andover (her initials and dates in the 1780s on rainwater heads); early C19 tower added to rear, attributed to Webster of Kendal. Limestone rubble walls, part rendered, with sandstone dressings; graduated greenslate roof with stone and lead ridges, stone copings and kneelers and massive chimneys, earlier ones with tapered cylindrical stacks. 2 storeys plus basements and attics. Hall has cross-wings and later additions to North and South. 4 bays: irregular: 3rd from left battlemented tower, rest gabled. Stone mullioned-and-transomed windows, mostly under hoodmoulds, decorative leaded glazing of various dates and styles. Recessed central door in eared surround approached by flight of stone steps. 3 lead rainwater pipes: central and left with decorative straps and heads with initials and dates IGD 1692 and 1691 respectively, right with initials and date MA 1796. Return elevation to East has full height canted bay window to right and square gabled bay to left. The lead rainwater pipes to all sides are of various dates and include a number with gilded rainwater heads decorated with crowns and initials MA and dates 1787 and 1788 on service wing, and one with initials and date I & DG 1700 to courtyard. Service wing surmounted by square domed clock-tower dated 1788 with gilded ball finial. Interior has a wealth of C16 and later plasterwork and panelling, for details see R.C.H.M. pp 151-155. The gardens, which were laid out in the late C17 by Monsieur Beamont for Col. Graham are of National Importance and form a vital setting for the house.

Listing NGR: SD4953285091


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 9 Cumbria,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16362/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Allchin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].