CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350032.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:21:07.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Malvern Hills (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 65697 68729
SO 66 NE; 5/45
EASTHAM CP, EASTHAM
Church of St Peter and St Paul
Parish church. C12 with C14 and C15 alterations, partly rebuilt 1825 and restored in 1864 and 1889. Part tufa faced with sandstone ashlar internally and sandstone ashlar dressings; part brick; plain tiled roofs with parapet at east end. West tower, two-bay nave, three-bay chancel with north vestry. Norman and Decorated styles.
West tower: rebuilt in brick in 1825; two stages divided by string; chamfered plinth and corner buttresses with offsets, set diagonally at west end; lower stage has pointed west doorway; belfry stage has large, louvred lancet bell-chamber openings to all but east elevation and to which main string forms a sill string; door and bell-chamber openings all have hood moulds with returns which continue as a string to the corner buttresses; buttresses terminate in tufa pinnacles between which runs a plain parapet above a string. Lean-to addition to north elevation with square north light and pointed doorway in west side. Nave: C12; central and east end pilaster buttresses and opposing doorways; west wall rebuilt 1825 and has diagonal corner buttresses with offsets; north elevation has a C19 easternmost window in Norman style and the door in the western bay is C14, pointed with continuous bowtell fillet edge moulding; above it is a small C12 light; south elevation has a 2-light C14 window in its east bay and a C19 cusped lancet in its west bay; both windows have hood moulds with returns. To the right of the west window is a pedimented wall memorial with an illegible inscription. The south doorway projects between slender pilaster buttresses and has a round arch of two orders enriched with incised lines and lozenges; the shafts beneath have cushion capitals and moulded bases and above the doorway is a blind arcade of four intersecting round arches with circular shafts and an enriched string beneath; (there are several similar doorways of contemporary date in the region [Pevsner]); east of the door are set two carved panels of Leo and Sagittarius, now barely discernible. Chancel: C12 extended in C14; east end has clasping pilaster buttresses, a C19 sexfoil light in gable apex and a late C18 wall memorial to the Griffin family; side elevations have 2-light C14 easternmost windows and large central C12 single-light windows; at west end of north elevation is a pointed doorway and small C12 light and at west end of south elevation is a narrow rectangular light; between the two easternmost windows in the north elevation is a C19 lean-to vestry; it has a round-headed light in its north elevation and a small east doorway adjacent to the chancel.
INTERIOR: C19 round-headed chancel arch with shafted jambs; moulded bases of former chancel arch visible through gaps let into floor; rood loft stair to left with doorway at top of stairs now glazed; to right of chancel arch are two carvings in low relief, an Agnus Dei and a lion with two bodies (similar to that at St Andrews, Stockton on Teme [qv]). Nave and chancel have ashlared arch-braced collar rafter roofs, the nave roof is strengthened by three tie beams of possible C14 date. Chancel has a C14 piscina with cusped head in east jamb of south- east window and there is a simple aumbry at the centre of both side eleva- tions. Reredos made up of elaborate mid-C17 panels with blind arcading divided by six figures in high relief; C16 panelling incorporated in choir stalls and priest's desk; also C17 priest's chair. Font: C12, large sandstone circular example with wide fillet near upper edge and cable mould at junction of base and stem. Octagonal pulpit made up of C17 panels. Lectern on C16 carved and turned stem with four lion's feet at base. C18 parish chest in north-west nave. Memorials: chancel has a late C17 painted cartouche surmounted by a coat of arms to Edward Soly, died 1690, another cartouche to Josiah Shelton died 1749, a mid- and a late C18 brass, memorial in painted stone surrounds, and also another late C18 and several early C19 memorials. In 1816 the church is recorded as having had paintings of Moses and the Ten Commandments on the east wall.
This medieval church retains several original features of particular interest and has some fine C16 and C17 woodwork.
Listing NGR: SO6569368731
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 270-1
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 139-140
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing