QUEEN ELIZABETH STADIUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1350371
Date first listed:
23-Jan-2003
Statutory Address:
QUEEN ELIZABETH STADIUM, DONKEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of QUEEN ELIZABETH STADIUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350371.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 19:33:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
QUEEN ELIZABETH STADIUM, DONKEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Enfield (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 34018 97383

Details



TQ 39 NW DONKEY LANE 790/20/10057 Queen Elizabeth Stadium 23-JAN-03

II



Sports pavilion and grandstand. Designed in 1939 but not completed until 1953. Concrete with stock brick cladding; flat felt roofs. EXTERIOR: both the north side facing the athletics field and the south side consist of a wide single-storey element with bowed east and west ends lit through a frieze of 26 (north side) metal casements set under the eaves. Oversailing roof. Doors at intervals. South side with 2 similar projections containing toilet and shower facilities. Upper stage consists of a half-glazed cafe, with 4 3-light metal casements each side, the eastern pair curving round to meet a brick and concrete drum. The lower half of the drum continually glazed with 5 similar, curving, metal casements. Western half of the upper element on the south side is blank, forming the back of a covered first-floor grandstand. Raking floor and seating. Canopy supported on 2 reinforced concrete columns and one corner pier. Metal railings surround the caf' and grandstand. INTERIOR: main staircase and entrance at east end. Short entrance narthex leads to oval reception hall, all with fawn-coloured wall tiles. Corridors lead east and west. Curved oval staircase of cantilevered reinforced concrete steps. Steel balustrade consisting of square-section verticals, 6 flat rails and a chromium-plated flat handrail. Similar dado rail. The drum is a continuous glazed circle at first floor, with 2 metal casements and a double-leaf glazed metal door facing the caf?. Cafe with 4 reinforced concrete ceiling beams. Serving hatch at south-west corner. Door to plain former kitchen at west end. Long corridors lead east and west from entrance hall. Tiled wall surfaces. Numerous changing rooms open to north and south. Toilet block porcelain in gentlemen's area (the east) is original, in ladies replaced. Shower rooms with early 1950s plumbing and fittings.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
489940
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].