This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1351139



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: East Tisted

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 142967

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.




Country mansion. 1815-21, by Joseph Parkinson, with alterations and extensions of the mid to late C19. Stone walls, with unobtrusive slate roofing. On an old site, the building was designed in Tudor/Gothic style, of irregular form and outline, with stuccoed elevations; this was re-modelled in the late C19, with more elaborate Victorian/Tudor refacing in Bath stone, so that the general Romantic form of the original remains, expressed in bolder detail. Square structure of 2 storeys, with a lower range west of the south elevation, with 3 storeyed towers at each corner, the south east being a slender octagonal turret and the others massive square blocks. East elevation: (between the towers) comprises 2 bow-shaped full-height bays on either side of a central rectangular bay. Pepperpots to the towers, parapets, 1st floor band, plinth, mullion and transome stone windows. North elevation: contains the entrance porch: here again the general form repeats the original but the detail of this 3 storeyed range is plain Jacobean; pierced parapet, hood moulds, mullions, plinth. An elaborate porch in a Doric Order, oval arch with keystone, recessed entrance with a Jacobean doorway. South elevation: continues the Victorian proportions of the features, but the west side is a lower range, having on the ground floor an arcade (or cloister) of Tudor arches on octagonal columns, enclosing quadripartite (plaster) vaulting, and ending in a church-like brick tower of 3 stages with diagonal comer buttresses. The west side of the building is a mixture of later and altered units, of brickwork in Jacobean style, with a small section of crenellated (original?) parapet. Entrance to the rear (west) from the north forecourt is via a 2 storeyed wing which is pierced by an oval gateway, dated 1891. Decoration scheme of 1870's retained in hall with stencilled decorations throughout and in both big and little drawing rooms (ref. Country Life of 23 and 30 April, and 7 May, 1948).

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 23 April, (1948)
'Country Life' in 30 April, (1948)
'Country Life' in 7 May, (1948)

National Grid Reference: SU6947732305


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351139 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 04:51:05.

End of official listing