- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CLEVELAND HOUSE, OLD STATION ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351318 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Jun-2019 at 00:11:49.
- Statutory Address:
- CLEVELAND HOUSE, OLD STATION ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Forest Heath (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 64837 63476
TL6463 NEWMARKET OLD STATION ROAD
7/140 Cleveland House 10/03/70
Offices. Formerly a house of circa 1730 substantially remodelled and extended circa 1820. For Lord Darlington, later Duke of Cleveland, and other racehorse owners, who jointly presented the house to the racehorse jockey, Samuel [Sam] Chiflhey, junior, as a mark of their appreciation of his success on their racehorses. Again enlarged in C20 for the sixth Earl of Rosebery; other minor C20 alterations. Brick stuccoed with scribed masonry joints, stone details; hipped felted roofs; stacks removed. PLAN: a wide, double-depth block, the service wing recessed to right, C20 wing added to rear left. EXTERIOR: two and three storeys and deep cellar, single storey rear wing. The front facade of c1820 is an imposing, symmetrical composition in three wide bays with three 6/6 sashes to each bay in moulded architraves; the level of the windows in the central bay on the first floor lower than the windows in the bays to each side; the bays flamed by a giant order of four strip pilasters above an offset plinth and supporting a moulded crowning cornice and coped parapet. Across the central bay a single storey entrance portico with Roman Ionic columns and entablature with above a balcony with decorative wrought iron railing of c.1820. Applied to each facade pilaster a moulded wreath and across the central bay a deep anthemion frieze. Within the portico the large central entrance doorway with 8-panel door, and to either side a 6/6 sash. In the centre of the main parapet a higher rectangular panel crowned by a pediment with a central wreath in relief and acroteria; on each side the parapet is pierced by plain arcading and has scrolls in relief above. Rising above the parapet a crowning feature over each of the giant pilasters and between these in each of the outer bays a rectangular panel with moulded wreath in relief flanked by lower side panels. The north east end wall of the main block is a 2 blind-window range framed by pilasters and crowning cornice; moulded stone architraves similar to those of the front facade. Rear elevation has irregular fenestration including three C20 French doors, otherwise various sashes. INTERIOR: on the ground floor the central entrance hall is part of the house of c1730. It contains an open well staircase of stripped pine with hardwood handrail rising to a gallery landing lower than the general first floor level; details include a curtail step, open string with richly carved foliate tread-end brackets, fluted Ionic column newels, two column-on-vase balusters to each tread, and ramped handrail wreathed over the curtail step, with a narrow mahogany strip laid into the top of the handrail; the plain dado panels to stairs and to the landing gallery are framed by Ionic pilasters and a moulded rail. The hall floor has stone slabs and the ceilings to the gallery and stair well have modillion cornices. Doorway to left leads to a large board (former drawing) room fully panelled in pine with very richly moulded and carved features, in the style of William Kent. Details include moulded skirting, plain dado capped by chair rail with Greek key moulding, full-height fielded panels with carved moulding, and modillion cornice. The chimney-piece has white marble surround framed by eared architraves and entablature, and overmantel with ancanthus frieze below a blank panel framed by eared architraves and flanking scrolls, and the entablature crowned by broken pediment enclosing a scallop shell supported by acanthus scrolls. Each doorcase has richly moulded architraves,entablature with foliated frieze, and pediment. The Pompeian style ceiling is painted on paper and is said to be later C19. The other principal rooms on ground floor have moulded joinery,and moulded plaster cornices, and, in the larger rooms, central foliated ceiling roses and Italian marble chimney pieces, all of c1820. In the C20 single storey wing to rear a large room with chimney-piece in Adam style, probably late C18 and re-used. On the first floor the room above the board room has moulded skirting, chair rail and cornice of c1730; other rooms on the first floor have details of cl820. In the cellar below the hall a room of c1730, later sub-divided, has a quadripartite groined vault supported on wall piers. Below the board room a room with two chamfered timber ceiling beams, each supported at either end by inserted brick piers; a large fireplace contains a mid C19 cast iron kitchen range; to left a sash, and in the end wall two sashes, all behind closed shutters; the sash inspected has some original bottle glass panes. The doorway to this room and to another to room at rear have C18 doors with vent slots in the top half and wrought iron strap hinges. HISTORY: the house indicated on the site in John Chapman's map of Newmarket, dated 1787, partly survives in the rooms and staircase of c1730 which were retained when the house was remodelled c1820. Samuel Chiffney, junior, occupied the house until 1851. He was the son of Samuel Chiffney, senior, and brother of William Chiffney, both of whom were also very successful racehorse jockeys.
TL 6463 NEWMARKET OLD STATION (including EXNING) ROAD
7/140 Cleveland House 10.3.70
House. c.1820; for Lord Darlington (later 1st Duke of Cleveland), for his jockey Sam Chifney junior. 3 storeys, 9 windows. Stuccoed walls, the front elevation divided by giant pilasters into 3 parts, each pilaster having a wreath at the head. Above the entrance an anthemion frieze. Moulded cornice and parapet with pierced centre section, panelled solid flanking sections; surmounting acroteria; the large central panel has a pediment and supporting scrolls. Hipped slated roofs. Sash windows with small panes, and in the flanking bays, architraves; 2 windows have a cornice on console brackets. Open 1-storey Doric entrance portico on 4 columns, with decorative wrought iron railings to flat roof; entrance door with 6 fielded panels.
Listing NGR: TL6468063520
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing