WEAVERS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1351601

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: WEAVERS HOUSE, LOWER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEAVERS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351601 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 01:28:44.

Location

Statutory Address: WEAVERS HOUSE, LOWER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh (District Authority)

Parish: Stratford St. Mary

National Grid Reference: TM 04260 33820

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 0433 STRATFORD ST MARY LOWER STREET (west side) 6/34 Weavers House 22.2.55 GV II* House, probably originally incorporating weaving premises. Early-mid C16. Timber-framed. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks. L-plan. 2 storeys. 5 ½-bay front with 2-bay rear cross range, probably truncated. Lobby entry with further blocked entrance to right end which has a separate staircase and no communication with main house at 1st floor level. Jettied front with moulded bressummer and joist ends. Close-studding. Straight down braces to right end. Lobby entry,now open to inner doors,has added cornice and patterned carved brackets. Windows of ovolo mullion type are mainly the originals restored with some inserted from other buildings. Windows to main house have side lights except the hall which has a pair of 5-light windows forming a continuous row. Small 2-light window above entrance. To right end a long row of mullioned lights continues round the gable end to the stack. Steeply-pitched swept roof, hipped to left. Saw-tooth ridge stack and further large external stack to right gable. The cross wing and rear have similar details. Indications to rear wall of right end of former external stair. Interior: exposed framing. Ovolo-moulded beams and joists to upper end, chamfered beam with curved stops to right end. The parlour to left has C17 panelling and inglenook fireplace. Newel spiral stair to rear of stack. Rendered basket-arched fireplace to hall. Evidence for possible position of loom against rear wall. Right end has C20 stairs and inglenook. Rear wing contains C17 painted door. During restoration of 1930s, plaster with a date of 1758 was removed from the front of the house revealing several blocked original windows. Some windows and other features have been brought from houses in course of demoli- tion in Ipswich and elsewhere.

Hussey, C, 'Weavers House Stratford St Mary', Country Life, 28 September 1945, pp.552-555.



Listing NGR: TM0426033820

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 277233

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 28 September, (1945), 552-5

End of official listing