CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1351625
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351625.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 04:02:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Higham
National Grid Reference:
TM 03563 35232

Details

HIGHAM HIGHAM ROAD TM 03 NW (south side, off) 3/5 Church of St Mary 22.2.55 GV II* Church. Tower C13 origins. Otherwise C14-C15. Porch c.1893 by W H A Berry. Restored 1888 at a sum of £1,500 (Kelly's). Coursed flint with knapped flint to chancel, ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. West tower, nave with 4-bay north aisle,porch and 2-bay chancel. 3-stage tower with offset diagonal buttresses, stair turret to south. Renewed west door. Basket-arched west window with Perpen- dicular tracery. Small lancet to west and north faces at second stage, 2-light restored bell openings. Quoins and embattled parapet. North aisle: roofed separately from nave, offset buttresses. West window head renewed, otherwise 2-light flat-headed windows with ogee lights, probably late C14 with some replaced stonework. Gabled timber porch contains original 2-centred continuously-moulded door. 3-light basket-arched window with Perpendicular tracery to east end of aisle. South side of nave: blocked south door with renewed head. Restored but- tresses and 2 replaced windows with Perpendicular tracery. 2-light flat-headed window to west of door partly renewed. Chancel: renewed 4-centred windows with Perpendicular tracery with hoodmoulds and arches of red brick and flint. East window with intersecting tracery renewed. Diagonal offset buttresses, flushwork to part of plinth. Blocked priest's door to south side. Interior: nave arcade piers of 4 filleted shafts with slender polygonal shafts to angles. Band capitals with alternating patterns of fleurons and vine scrolls. Finely-moulded arches under hoodmoulds with head or foliate stops. Nave roof C19 but incorporates three medieval chamfered arch braces forming pointed arches resting on head corbels. Aisle roof C16 with moulded beams on short wall posts with head corbels, arched braces with tracery to spandrels. Leaf scroll to longitudinal beams and moulded joists with run-out stops. Wall plate with angels and fleurons and rafters probably renewed. Disused broken panelled octagonal font. 4 original poppy heads incorporated into C19 pews. Ogee-arched nave piscina. Chamfered-arched door to tower stairs has original studded door with strap hinges. C19 timber chancel arch with pair of saints in canopied niches on corbels. Chancel roof has elements of c.1500 including brattished wall plate with capitals to truncated wall shafts at bay divisions supporting moulded arch braces incorporated into C19 wagon roof. 4-centred piscina with fleurons probably renewed. Marble and ceramic tile reredos of 1892. The chancel appears to be the most extensively restored part, the walls may be refaced externally or even rebuilt.

Pevsner, N, Suffolk. 2nd edition, 1974, p.271.



Listing NGR: TM0356335232

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
277248
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 271
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07933/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kelvin Cuffy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].