TM 04 SE HINTLESHAM HADLEIGH ROAD
3/22 Church of St Nicholas
Parish church. Medieval, restored C19. Tower of flint and rubble, stone dressings,
nave and chancel rendered, tile roofs. West tower, aisled nave, south porch,
chancel, north vestry. Late C15 square tower, 3 stages with embattled parapet,
diagonal buttresses, stair turret against south wall. West doorway, 2 orders of
hollow chamfers and roll mouldings beneath hoodmould with the stops cut off.
Medieval door. 3-light Perpendicular west window with cusped lights beneath curved
arched head. Single cusped light to ringing chamber in south wall. 2-light cusped
Perpendicular belfry openings to north, south and west. Nave. South elevation.
Diagonal buttresses. Doorway of 3 continuous orders of wave and 2 roll mouldings
with a hollow, the hood of 2 rolls. Pair of early C19 doors. Above a square hood
of 2 roll mouldings, the spandrels of knapped flint, and the hood running into a
moulded band continuing from the aisle west wall to the 2nd bay. Rendered gault
brick porch. 2 2-light Decorated windows, that to west C19, that to east restored
C19 and later, one 3-light window with intersecting tracery, much restored.
Clerestory, 3 windows of 2 cusped lights beneath square heads. Buttressed chancel.
2 restored early C14 and later 2-light windows, that to right with a tall pointed
head. Chamfered priest's doorway. 3-light C19 Decorated style east window. North
elevation. Diagonally buttressed nave, the chancel with brick buttress. Nave
window of 3 lancet lights, the upper parts rendered over. 2 restored Perpendicular
windows of 2 cusped lights. Blocked doorway with hollow chamfer between rolls,
scroll moulded hood. The clerestory not visible under steeply-pitched aisle roof.
2 lancet lights to chancel. C19 vestry. Memorial to James Hows, 1712, attached
to east wall, shaped head with skull between flowers. Interior: C13 4-bay arcades
of alternating drum and octagonal piers with almost waterholding bases and well
moulded caps, the eastern responds an annulated shaft with waterholding base and
undercut moulding to cap, the western responds squared with chamfered arrises, the
south face with bar stop and the north with run-out stop. Chamfered impost on ogee
moulded corbel. Double, chamfered arches. Tower arch obscured by organ, but some
roll moulded respond visible. 4 bay staggered butt purlin and king post nave roof.
South aisle: chamfered and roll moulded principals, flat joists, but with WV 1759
inscribed. North aisle: 2 blocked clerestory windows similar to the south, partly
obscured by roof of thin staggered purlins. Remains of earlier braced truss to
west. South aisle, piscina enclosed in rectangular opening, cinquefoil drain.
Trefoil headed north aisle piscina with septafoil drain. C19 font. Remains wall
paintings above North arcade, that opposite door said to be St Christopher. No
chancel arch. Rood beam supported on corbels in form of wild man or lion to south,
grimacing cat to north. South chancel early C16 brick four-centre arched doorway
with chamfered reveals, the rood tower and steps also brick, with timber treads.
Opening to rood loft above. Cinquefoil cusped piscina with cinquefoil drain.
Chamfered north doorway and squint. Fine late C17 moulded altar rail with twisted
balusters. Remains of C19 Perpendicular screen, blind traceried panels painted
with foliage, brattished cresting, now in sanctuary. Early C19 pews and other
fittings. Monuments: Thomas Tympley, Armigeyr d. 14 Ia 1593, his wife and family.
Marble. Two pairs of facing kneeling figures flanked by their children between
pilasters and below cornice of coloured marble panels, framed by scrolled brackets.
Above, three crests, that in centre surmounted by winged skull. Below, 2 black
marble panels inscribed in Latin, articulated by stumpy pilaster strips or panels,
the base of carved stone strapwork decoration. Captayne John Timperley Esq d. 28
January 1629. Engraved slate panel depicting armoured figure beneath pedimented
canopy with shield and escutchion above, and flanked by military trophies. Dogerel
verse below. Sir Thomas Tymperley d. 29 April 1681 and Michael Tymperley d. 7
July 1653. Stone and marble. A pair of inscribed panels between pilasters and
below semi-circular hoods crowned by winged figures. All contained within aedicule
of composite pilasters, beneath pediment surmounted by shield. The apron, of heavily
carved scrolls and garland, flanked by blank shields. Inscribed tablets to Charles
Vesey 1637, Thomas Vesey 1679. C18 floor slabs to Broke family.
Listing NGR: TM0874743480