CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351959 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 22:34:38.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Babergh (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 03082 38457
TM 03 NW SHELLEY CHURCH ROAD
22.2.55 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Early C14 of possibly earlier origin, chancel, nave, north tower and south aisle. C16 north chapel - called Tylney Chapel. Probably C15/C16 south porch which may have been rebuilt of medieval material. Flint rubble now plastered over to most of the building, north tower flint and ashlar with brick crenellations, C16 red brick Tylney Chapel. Red plain tiled roofs excepting lead south porch lean-to roof. Chancel:- East window of 3 cinquefoiled 2-centred arched lights, vertical tracery over, moulded segmental head and label. South wall moulded 2-centre arched label, window blocked, chamfered round headed doorway to west of this label, plank and muntin door. No windows to north wall. Tylney Chapel:- Gabled to north. Blocked brick window with chamfered 4-centred head and label to gable below which are 2 two-light windows with similar heads and labels with head stops. Between these windows is a stone panel with Tylney Coat of Arms. East return wall a similar window of 3 lights, label with head stops. Polygonal angle pilasters. Nave:- North wall adjacent to the Tylney Chapel is a window of 4 trefoiled lights, moulded square head and label. West wall window 2-centred head, 2 lights with Y tracery, label over. South aisle:- Buttressed at angles. Two windows to south wall, the eastern of 3 trefoiled lights, moulded segmental head and label, to west of this is a window of 3 2-centre arched lights, tracery, 2-centred head and label, stylised head stops to label. West wall window, metal, of 3 lights with transom, chamfered brick 2-centred head. Gabled south porch, timber framed on dwarf brick wall. Of 2 bays, braces to tie beams, collars to each rafter pair, 2 mullion slots to each wall of south bay, halved and bridled top plate scarf, C19 tiled floor. South doorway, C14 sunk chamfered and moulded 2-centred arch, label with stops, nailed plank and muntin double doors. North Tower:- Of 3 stages, buttressed to northern angles, bands to first stage and above bell chamber. Red brick crenellations. Each face of bell chamber with a louvred, cinquefoiled light, moulded 2-centred head and label. Clock faces below these windows to north, east and west faces. Flanking the clock to north and south are 4 heavy moulded circular tie plates. Below the northern clock is a cinquefoiled light with moulded 2-centred head and label. North doorway, blocked, with 4 board door set in, 2-centred head of 3 moulded orders, moulded label with head stops. Interior. Chancel:- Boarded and ribbed roof of 5 cants, moulded wall plates. C19 coloured tiled floor. Moulded wood altar rails. south wall; Piscina, chamfered 2-centred head, 2 drains, one circular, one octagonal. Adjacent to the Piscina is a low cill blocked arch with chamfered segmental head, doorway with similar head to west of this window and another blocked window to west with chamfered 2-centred head. North wall; tomb chest, 3 panels each with cusped and sub-cusped moulded 4-centred heads, moulded capitals and bases to 3 attached shafts, coats-of Arms to each pane, above are 3 shields of Arms, the central arms larger and embellshed. The entrance to the Tylney chapel is recessed and the recess walls and ceiling are entirely panelled. Wall monument 1866 Norman Family. choir stalls with carved poppy heads, panelled fronts and with winged griffons holding shields. No chancel arch. Nave:- Roof boarded and ribbed of 5 cants, moulded wall plates. Yellow brick herring bone floor. Wooden linefold panelled octagonal pulpit, octagonal stem with moulded capital. North wall. Chest tomb, square base, columns support the top slab, which has a moulded cornice and rim. Front panel with embelished inscription and side roundels. Fine recumbent praying figure in dress with neck ruff, head on pillow, stumps of columns at angles. Inscription relates; "This tombe was made by Philip Tylney Esq, In remembrance of his dere mother Dame Margaret, The wife of Frederick Tylney who had issue by her. This Tylney who died without issue and the above named Philip Tylney who by Ann daughter of Framlingham of Debenham had issue Charles who died with issue, his father living 1598." 2 hatchments to north wall. C20 octagonal font and stem. South arcade of 4 bays, octagonal columns, moulded capitals and bases, chamfered 2-centred arches. South aisle. Hatchment to south wall. No entry to north tower at time of resurvey. Tylney Chapel:- Believed to have been built circa 1530 by Sir Phillip Tylney (D.1533) who re-built Shelley Hall q.v. 2/82. Herring bone brick floor. 5 floor slabs in 2 rows of 3 and 2. The central slab of 3, blank, to left Dame Mary Lumby relict of Sir Martin Lumby Kt, sometime Lord Mayor of London, D 13 June 1650, to right Thomas Kerridge, Lord of the Manor D 20 June 1657, both with Coats of Arms. The 2 lower slabs, left Samuel Kerridge, Lord of the Manor and Susan his wife, D 13 November 1678, right John Kerridge, D 3 September 1661 aged 18, both with Coats of Arms. Fastened to the west wall, high up is a long arm supported by a metal brace, use unknown. Panelled dado with some linefold and Coat of Arms panels. A fine large square stone panel to the north wall carved with the Tylney arms circa 1540-50. East wall, 2 niches with square heads that to north witgh moulded soffit to shelf. Small C19 cast iron stove. Exodus, Creed and Lords Prayer boards to west wall, said to contain 5 bells cast at Bury St Edmunds 1650-1747.
Listing NGR: TM0308238457
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing