BATTISFORD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352140
Date first listed:
22-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
BATTISFORD HALL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BATTISFORD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352140 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 00:02:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
BATTISFORD HALL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Battisford
National Grid Reference:
TM 05589 54571

Details

BATTISFORD CHURCH ROAD TM 05 SE

6/7 Battisford Hall

II

Farmhouse, built mid C16 as a manor house; probably for Sir Thomas Gresham, founder of the Royal Exchange, or his father Sir Richard. Originally of 3- cell form; single-bay extension to left and rear wing, both of C18/C19. Major remodelling of c.1900. 2 storeys. Timber-framed, encased at the front c.1900 in red brick with burnt headers; a crow-stepped gable to right. Plaintiled roof; an C18 or C19 axial chimney of red brick and another to left which was once external. Mainly casements with transomes of c.1900, some with leaded lights; various bay windows and French windows. An entrance porch of c.1900 at right hand gable, with crowstepping and an arched doorway; a panelled inner doorway. Framing mainly concealed. Crownpost roof: in the chamber over the hall is an octagonal crownpost with 2-way plank braces. A fine fireplace lintel in a ground storey room is of c.1530 with vinescroll carving and a central merchant mark; it is believed to have been introduced from elsewhere in c.1900.

Listing NGR: TM0558954571

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279782
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].