STONEWALL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1352152

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: STONEWALL FARMHOUSE, LOWER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of STONEWALL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352152 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 22:13:59.

Location

Statutory Address: STONEWALL FARMHOUSE, LOWER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Hemingstone

National Grid Reference: TM 15167 54249

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEMINGSTONE LOWER ROAD TM 15 SE 7/120 Stonewall Farmhouse 9.12.55 - II*

Farmhouse, c.1500. A 3-cell Wealden open-hall house. 2 storeys and attics. Timber-framed and plastered; the recessed hall has 2 jettied cross-wings under a single roof. The close-studding is fully-exposed with plaster infill panels. Supporting brackets remain at the eaves, but brackets and pilaster shafts beneath the jetties have been removed. The rear wall of the hall is also recessed, a feature not normally found in Wealden houses in Suffolk. Plaintiled roofs; a lower cross-wing to left is also plaintiled. An axial chimney of c.1600 red brick with sawtooth shaft, and another of c.1600 (with square shaft) at rear of cross-wing. C18 or early C19 small-pane casements with transomes. C19 plaintiled gabled entrance porch with 6-panelled door, at cross-entry position. The central open hall has an open truss with a cambered tie-beam which has hollow-chamfered archbraces (one missing), rising from polygonal shafts with moulded capitals. Above is a long octagonal crownpost with moulded capital and 4-way braces. The roof has moderate smoke encrustation, which is also found in the roof over the parlour cell, apparently from a separate hearth. The fine close-studding has arch and tension windbracing. A blocked rear cross-entry doorway with 4-centred arch. An upper floor and attics were inserted, together with a chimney in the cross- entry, c.1600. A bakehouse/dairy cross-wing was added to the left hand end c.1600, with wind-braced clasped purlin roof. This wing reuses many major components from an open hall house of c.1400; the building may even be in-situ but remodelled. Mediaeval work includes part of an open truss, diamond mullioned windows and arch windbraced studding.

Listing NGR: TM1516754249

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 279739

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing