ONEHOUSE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352165
Date first listed:
24-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
ONEHOUSE HALL, LOWER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ONEHOUSE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352165 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 08:04:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
ONEHOUSE HALL, LOWER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Onehouse
National Grid Reference:
TM 01710 59168

Details

ONEHOUSE LOWER ROAD TM 05 NW

2/145 Onehouse Hall

24.6.86

GV II

Farmhouse, formerly manor house. Mid C16, with major alterations, principally of early C17 and 1887. 2 storeys and attics. The main C16 range is aligned north-south: timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled roof with an axial chimney, the shaft rebuilt in C19 red brick with diagonally-set square flues. Mid C19 small-pane sashes at 1st storey, mid C20 casements below. C20 gabled entrance porch with panelled door. A 2-cell cross wing added early C17 to south end: timber-framed, encased in brick and extended both ends in red brick in 1887, as dated on west gable; all external features described below are of this date. Pilasters and bands of gault brick in the Estate style of Great Finborough Hall. 3 gablets on the south side, with sash windows. Two axial chimneys of red brick: one with a diagonally-set cruciform shaft, the other with circular twin shafts of moulded terracotta tiles forming diaper patterning in high relief. Concrete lintelled openings with C20 small-pane casements. The C16 range has some massive unmoulded framing exposed, and clasped-purlin roof much altered in C19. The C17 range has altered arched fireplaces and a butt-purlin roof, the framing mainly concealed. Two arms remain of a probably medieval moat. Queen Elizabeth I is believed to have visited in August 1578.

Listing NGR: TM0171059168

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279920
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12021/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Maxwell Newport. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].