EBBS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352170
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
EBBS HOUSE, BILDESTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of EBBS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352170 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 23:12:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
EBBS HOUSE, BILDESTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Combs
National Grid Reference:
TM 03164 55848

Details

COMBS BILDESTON ROAD TM 05 NW

2/57 Ebbs House (formerly listed as Ebbs Farmhouse) 9.12.55

GV II

Former farmhouse, c.1530 with alterations of late C16 and c.1970. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered; the front elevation is long-wall jettied with exposed supporting knee-braces and joist-ends. Plaintiled roofs; two axial chimneys of red brick with rebuilt C19 shafts of red brick. C19 and C20 small-pane casements. An original oriel window has a carved hammer head on the cill, flanked by a lion to left and a gryffon to right; the return face of the cill has on either side a shield bearing a merchant-mark, said to be that of one Hebbe, a wool merchant in Combs. The original entrance doorway has a 4-centred arched head whose spandrels are carved with leaves and a shield bearing the same merchant mark. The framing exposed internally is unmoulded: unchamfered floor joists, close studding and diamond-mullion window evidence; there was once a second oriel in the hall matching the one in the chamber above. Crownpost roof, mainly rebuilt in C20, but square posts with thin 2- way braces survive. The plan form of the original house is unconventional: the main entrance doorway opens into the service end, not the hall, and there is an additional cell here which may have been a shop. A wide open fireplaces with cambered lintel in the hall. The cross-wing to left was added in later C16, and there are 2 plastered arched fireplaces of early C17. Associated with an incomplete medieval moat.

Listing NGR: TM0316455848

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279832
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].