CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1352203
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352203 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:39:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Brundish
National Grid Reference:
TM 27147 69546

Details

BRUNDISH CHURCH LANE TM 26 NE

6/7 Church of St Lawrence - 29.7.55 GV I

Parish church. Medieval. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Slated roofs. C12 tower: square, unbuttressed, with various blocked window openings. To the east an original 2-light belfry opening divided by a shaft with a capital. The other 3 belfry openings, moulded west doorway and crenellated parapet are late C14 additions. Tower arch to nave now blocked. 4-bay nave of late C14 date with 2-light and 3- light windows in Perpendicular style. Moulded north and south doorways with orignal doors. C15 porch: flushwork-panelled facade; moulded entrance arch with rose-carved spandrels above which is an empty niche with crocketted ogee arch and flanking buttress shafts. Remains of stoup in porch. Late C14 2-bay chancel. Priest's doorway enriched with fleurons, partly renewed C19. 5- -light east window renewed C20. Interior. Nave roof ceiled over. C19 chancel roof. Chancel arch rests on corbels carved as human heads. Good C14 angle piscina: cusped ogee arch with crocketting and buttress shafts. Adjacent a drop-sill sedilia and 2 medieval aumbries. The east splays of the easternmost nave windows have cusped image niches; that to the north is complete and retains some original colouring. In the north nave wall is a recess with moulded arch, probably for a founder's tomb. Simple octagonal font, uncarved, probably of C14 date. At the west end of the nave, 11 C15 poppyhead bench- ends, 2 with remains of arm-rests; the backs of all the benches are C18. Remainder of nave seating comprises C18 box pews, built around further C15 poppyhead benches. C15 pulpit with traceried panels; early C17 carved back and tester. At east end of chancel, C18 painted copies of the Lord's Prayer, Commandments and Creed within C19 panels. Effigy brasses include: Sir Edmund de Brundish (c.1380), under recess in north nave wall; John and Alice Colby (1540, 1560), in nave; John Colby (1559) and Thomas Glemham (1571), both in sanctuary. Several C17-C18 ledger slabs. Arms of George III over tower arch.

Listing NGR: TM2714769546

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280127
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16626/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].