HALL FARM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1352234
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Nov-1987
Statutory Address:
HALL FARM HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HALL FARM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 23:39:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
HALL FARM HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Burgate
National Grid Reference:
TM 08006 75525

Details

BURGATE TM 07 NE 1/2 Hall Farm House (formerly 29.7.55 listed as Burgate Hall and barn)

GV II*

Farmhouse, formerly part of a larger house or, possibly, a court hall, c.1400 possibly for Sir W. Burgate, probably part demolished and reordered in 1587 for W. Morys following lease and order of Sir N. Bacon. Altered and extended late C19. Timber frame, plastered with red brick additions. Steeply pitched plaintiled roof. A long and narrow 7 bay range with 2 narrow bays to right of centre with present entrance and at original left end suggesting cross passages, stairs or smoke bays. Adapted to form a 3 cell lobby entry plan, extended to rear. Very tall 2 storeys, continuously jettied to front and rear. Ground floor: entrance to right of centre, a 4 fielded panelled door with a segmental headed fanlight, C19 tiled gabled hood on curved brackets, flanking large 3 light metal frame glazing bar casements, service bay to left has French windows, all with hoodboards. Jetty has a C19 moulded bressumer on C19 shaped and pierced brackets. First floor three 3-light glazing bar casements. Boxed eaves. 2 inserted ridge stacks are C19 with sawtooth diagonal shafts, oversailing caps, that to left was external but is cased by a C19 brick addition. Right end lean-to outshut. Gable end bargeboards. C19 additions to rear: 2 full height gabled wings at ends projecting further than 2 storey central lean-to which has a boarded door to right, 2-light segmental headed casements, first floor 3 leaded 2-light casements and a 3-light segmental headed stair window, wing to left has a ground floor 3-light segmental headed casement, wing to right has a further lean-to outshut. Interior: continuous rear jetty with original large broad curved brackets from very tall storey posts, frame largely concealed with exception of a stop chamfered binding beam and jowled storey posts at service end. Crown post roof: 2 open trusses over nominal hall and parlour have octagonal crown posts with moulded caps and bases, brattished cap to smaller post over parlour, 4 way arched braces, large in proportion to posts; 4 closed trusses have square crown posts, 4 way arch braced with lateral braces removed, queen struts from cambered tie beams to collars, king struts from collars to ridge, splayed scarf jointed collar purlin, no smoke blackening, side purlins added. Position at front of moated enclosure suggests a range at right angles to north west or to rear from left end.

Listing NGR: TM0800675525

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280290
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13549/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hubert Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].