CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1352304
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, DUKE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352304 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 05:52:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, DUKE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Haughley
National Grid Reference:
TM 02612 62307

Details

HAUGHLEY DUKE STREET (NORTH SIDE) TM 0262

8/68 Church of St. Mary the - Virgin 9/12/55 (formerly listed as Church of GV I St Mary)

Parish church, mainly mid C14 and late C15. Flint and septaria rubble, some areas also with limestone rubble. Freestone dressings. Nave and chancel roofs slated, aisle and tower roofs flat with parapets. Nave, chancel, south aisle and south-west tower. Vestry and organ chamber added to north side in mid C19. Tower of c.1330 contains main entrance: a moulded and shafted outer doorway, small moulded Y-traceried windows to east and west. Y-traceried belfry windows with grotesque gargoyles above. Richly moulded inner doorway of early C14; a pair of original doors with ovolo-moulded fillets and a cross- battening. The ringing chamber floor is original. A wooden doorframe in the outer doorway is dated 1699, with flanking initials; the 1st floor (probably of same date) is constructed partly from components of a medieval rood screen. South aisle of mid C14: four windows have curvilinear tracery, and there is a cusped-headed piscina. A 5-bay nave arcade with octagonal piers with moulded capitals; the wide chancel arch is similar. The chancel has a C14 south doorway, and a piscina with pierced traceried spandrels. Nave much remodelled in C15 when the clerestory was added and fine 5-bay roof built: cambered tie beams with curved queenstruts to principal rafters; secondary trusses have arch braced principals and braces clasping ridge; there are no collars. Fine carved bosses at intersections, and embattling to tie-beams and cornice. The lean-to aisle roof is similar with 3 tiers of purlins, restored angels at the wallposts, and much cresting. C15 chancel windows, restored in C19. Good C15 font, octagonal limestone, with emblems of the evangelists alternating with shield-bearing angels, and around the stem lions and wild men. In the chancel is an C18 marble slab with well-carved achievment; and 4 others in the sanctuary to C18 members of the Ray family. About 10 other slabs in the nave, 7 of which have brass indents of C16/C17. A wall monument in the nave to Robert Offwood, d.1756 and his wife and 3 infants. Two other wall monuments of early C18 in the aisle. 5 painted hatchments on the nave walls.

Listing NGR: TM0261262307

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280550
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12345/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].