CHURCH OF KING CHARLES THE MARTYR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1352321
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF KING CHARLES THE MARTYR, SHELLAND GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF KING CHARLES THE MARTYR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352321 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 06:28:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF KING CHARLES THE MARTYR, SHELLAND GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Shelland
National Grid Reference:
TM 00352 60228

Details

SHELLAND SHELLAND GREEN TM 06 SW

4/167 Church of King Charles 09/12/55 the Martyr

-- II*

Parish church; medieval core but remodelled 1646 for Thomas Cropley, and virtually rebuilt 1767 for Richard Ray, whose coat of arms with date are over the east window. Nave, chancel, north porch, south vestry. The nave has the medieval core; the chancel was rebuilt and the north porch and south vestry was added, all in 1767. The nave walls are of stuccoed masonry with medieval freestone quoins, apart from the east wall which, like the chancel, was rebuilt 1767 with quoins of gault brick. The porch has an outer doorway of gault brick moulded in the Gothic manner. Concrete plaintiled roofs with parapet gables of gault brick. Above the west gable is an C18 bell turrett with a leaded ogee cap. 4 plain Y-traceried windows and 2 lancets, all of freestone in the manner of early C14, but perhaps C18 renewals. The butt- purlin nave roof is probably of 1646. The interior is entirely of 1767: east window in the Perpendicular style. Complete box pews, with a matching triple- decker pulpit. Rails at the chancel arch and sanctuary. Good mid C14 octagonal limestone font; the bowl has carved foliate patterns and shields, and the stem a moulded capital and base. The ogee cover of 1767 has a pineapple finial. In the chancel are 6 marble floor slabs to C17 members of the Cropley family, and another is in the nave. Arms of George III over the west window. A fine and rare barrel organ by H. Bryceson of London, c.1810. The living was donative until 1937.

Listing NGR: TM0035260228

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280650
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].