Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352322.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2021 at 13:44:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 06756 60848



5/169 Columbine Hall -

-- II*

A major fragment of a manor house, now farmhouse. Late C14 or c.1400, with alterations of c.1600. Flint rubble walling up to 1st floor level; quoins and much patching of C18 and C19 red brick; from ground floor level to 1st floor level the flintwork is painted. The timber-framed and plastered upper storey walling is jettied on north and west sides over the moat, with exposed joist ends and a corner post with moulded and embattled capital. The bressumer is moulded on the north side and covered on the west. Plaintiled roofs. Two 2- storey ranges, rising sheer from an approximately square moat at its north- west corner: at the centre of the west elevation is a blocked former carriage entrance (which must have been approached by bridge over the west arm of the moat), now marked by flanking knees beneath the jetty. Mainly C19 small-pane casements, some instead have leaded glazing. At the re-entrant angle of the courtyard elevation is a small gabled porch-like projection added c.1600 which would have contained an entrance doorway; adjacent to it is an early C19 gault brick and slated lean-to extension with 6-panelled entrance door. An axial early C17 chimney of red brick with sawtooth shaft; two internal C19 chimneys. Interior: Massive late C14 timber-framing members; cambered tiebeams with unchamfered broad knee-braces. Studding with ogee-curved external windbracing (mainly concealed). Splayed scarf jointing with undersquinted butts. Coupled-rafter roof, remodelled with clasped purlins in C17. At 1st storey is a blocked original doorway of chamfered 2-centred arch form. The carriage entrance is formed simply, with knee-braced beams, and may have been a secondary point of access to the site. The main entrance is on the south side of the moat, suggesting that a hall range may have occupied the north sector. A well staircase of c.1600 has good turned balusters and newels with ball finials. One chamber has an early C17 oak overmantel with arcading and a frieze; the fire surround is of early C19. A single bay block at the east end of the north range is lower and has a coupled-rafter roof, and may be original or C17. It has a fragment of an early C17 plaster ceiling with a vinescroll frieze, one of a group of angels, and formerly fleurs-de-lys; the room was traditionally known as a chapel. A timber-framed gable now within the roof space is nogged with narrow pink bricks of late C16 appearance; perhaps there is extensive concealed bricknogging. A set-forward late C19 range of red and gault brick on the courtyard side.

Listing NGR: TM0675660848


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00623/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George C Scott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].