STREET FARMHOUSE WITH ATTACHED OUTBUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1352339

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: STREET FARMHOUSE WITH ATTACHED OUTBUILDING, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of STREET FARMHOUSE WITH ATTACHED OUTBUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352339 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 11:09:05.

Location

Statutory Address: STREET FARMHOUSE WITH ATTACHED OUTBUILDING, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Botesdale

National Grid Reference: TM 04914 75943

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOTESDALE THE STREET (SOUTH EAST TM 0475 SIDE) 6/28 Street Farmhouse with - attached Outbuilding GV II* Inn, latterly 2 dwellings and a farmhouse, now a house. Early C15, extended early C16, floor and stacks inserted C17, extended C18; refronted, partially reroofed and altered early C19 for G. St Vincent Wilson of Redgrave Hall (not listed), '1833 G St.V.W.' datestone on outbuilding. Timber frame, plastered, refronted in red brick. Plaintiled roofs. Early large open hall of 2 unequal bays with lower end to right, no traces of original service bay or crosswing; C16 additions to left consist of a 3 bay cross wing projecting slightly forwards and possibly replacing an earlier upper cross wing, a 3 bay originally jettied range with a-narrow cross passage bay to left and to far left a short 2 bay 'service' cross wing; stacks inserted in hall upper bay and in formerly jettied range; an C18 dairy bay added to far left. Now all 2 storeys with an attic in original hall. Main entrance in C19 red brick front is at upper end of hall range, architraved double 6 panelled doors, shaped brackets to a pedimental hood with a panelled soffit. To right a recessed 16 pane sash with a slightly cambered gauged brick head, first floor transomed 3- light part opening metal frame glazing bar casement with a similar head. Continuous offset plinth, boxed eaves. Projecting slightly to left is early C16 3 bay cross wing with a ground floor 16 pane sash, two first floor metal frame cross casements, gauged brick cambered heads, bargeboards to gable, slightly lower ridge. A pilaster strip to left where former jettied range has been underbuilt and 'service' cross wing has been subsumed into a broad 2 bay frontage with ground floor 3 and 4-light metal frame part opening glazing bar casements with cambered heads, first floor cross casements, roof half hipped to left. An axial ridge stack in right bay of former jettied range, cap rebuilt in white brick, to rear of early upper bay is a second inserted stack. Lower C18 dairy to far left with a kitchen stack adjoining main build. Right gable end is red brick with wavy bargeboards. To rear early bays have ground floor red brick, a C19 6 panelled door with a fanlight opposite main entrance, a 2-light gabled dormer in hall upper bay; cross wing has a 2-light glazing bar casement over a lean-to outshut which continues behind former jettied range, C19 overhanging first floor. Interior: early C15 hall bays; frame concealed on ground floor, first floor very close studding of large scantling with a large reverse curved tension brace in upper end wall, wall plates have splayed scarf joints at open truss where posts have moulded heads, arched braces removed, double wave moulded cambered tie beam with grooved soffit, octagonal crown post with elaborately moulded brattished cap and broached base, large 2-centred arched 4 way braces, a longitudinal brace at lower end, smoke blackened rafters with tenoned soulaces to collars. Early C16 build: 3 bay crosswing; frame concealed on ground floor with a partition to left removed, rebated corner posts, first floor entrance into rear bay to right with a 4-centred arched door head, close studding, 4-centred arched braces from posts to chamfered cambered tie beams, 2 slender octagonal crown posts, simply moulded brattished caps and bases, 2 way arched bracing to collar purlin with a bridled scarf joint, downward curved braces from crown posts in end walls, no blackening. 3 bay formerly jettied range, jetty had brackets to every third joist, close studding, stop chamfered axial binding beam on 4 centred arched brackets, 1 removed, inserted stack has a stop chamfered fireplace bressumer, first floor entrance to rear of cross passage bay to left with a 4-centred arched door head, a 2-light cavetto mullioned window opening, reverse curved tension braces in left end wall, cambered tie beams, crown posts removed, stack cuts collar purlin, no blackening. 2 bay service cross wing has rebated corner posts, altered roof retaining central truss with 4- centred arched braces from posts to chamfered cambered tie beam, a square crown post with 2-way arched bracing, no blackening. Attached to rear right a flint and red brick wall with a door links to stable outbuilding, flint and red brick, pantiled roof. Datestone in gable facing house, inner elevation has 3 boarded doors and 3 windows all with cambered heads, flint outer elevation has a 2-light window. Attached to rear of house is a C19 iron pump with a timber casing. Formerly known as The White Hart and from c.1700 as White Hart Farm (East Anglian Miscellany, 1925, pp.62-4).

Listing NGR: TM0491475943

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 280749

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'East Anglian Miscellany' in East Anglian Miscellany, (1925), 62-4

End of official listing