CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1352345

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352345 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 19:49:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Drinkstone

National Grid Reference: TL 95972 61605

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DRINKSTONE THE STREET TL 96 SE 1/29 Church of All Saints - 15.11.54 - II* Parish church, c.1330-50. Tower added c.1760. Restored by E.C. Hakewill 1866- 72. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. Mainly random flint rubble with parapet gables and dressings of frees tone. Slated roofs. The chancel has good windows of c.1330 with net-tracery (east window restored), one is an insertion of later C14. North priests doorway also c.1330. Nave and aisles of mid C14, with several 2-light side windows with segmental-pointed heads and hoodmoulds; carved stonework to copings and buttresses. Mid C14 porch, much restored: shafted outer doorway. Inner south doorway of c.1350 with 3 orders of continuous mouldings, and to right an ogee- headed stoup. Original plank doors with C19 battening. Interior: C14 sedilia and piscina, much restored. Chancel roof canted and ceiled, possibly rebuilt C19. Plain chancel arch of c.1350-70, and rood loft stair to south with two doorways. 3-bay C14 nave arcades: octagonal piers with moulded capitals. In the south aisle are two mutilated C14 image stools. Some C14 decorated floor tiles in the nave. Good C15 rood screen, complete up to rood beam and fully coloured, some of which is unrestored. C13 font: the octagonal bowl has shallow twin arches on each face and has supporting colonnettes. A C14 tomb chest with traceried sides is beneath the north arcade. 4 plain C15 poppyhead benches at rear of nave. Two C18 wall tablets are built into the south aisle exterior wall face, and another in the west face of the tower. West tower is entirely of red brick with burnt headers at low level, dentilled bands at floor levels, and diagonal buttresses. (c.p. Old Rectory, c.1760, Item No.1/25).

Listing NGR: TL9597261605

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 280782

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing