CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1352379

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352379 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 18:01:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Brome and Oakley

National Grid Reference: TM 14509 76464

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BROME THE STREET TM 17 NW 1/17 Church of St Mary 29.7.55 II* Parish church. Medieval core. Enlarged and much restored 1857-63 for Sir Edward Kerrison and Rev. George Paterson, in a variety of Romanesque and Gothic styles. Nave, chancel, north aisle (including Cornwallis chapel) and transept, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble; C19 knapped flint facing with random stone admixture and flushwork frieze below eaves. Stone dressings. Slated roofs. Circular tower: base probably C12, with C19 re- facing; narrower octagonal belfry stage, perhaps C15, with mid C19 openings and crenellated stone parapet. North aisle windows in C13 style. Transept (entirely mid C19) has 3-light window in C14 style and angels at the foot of the gable. South side less altered: 3-light Perpendicular windows to nave and chancel, all largely renewed. C15 porch with flushwork-panelled facade; over the entrance a broad shield once painted with the Cornwallis arms. Interior. Neo-Norman aisle arcade. Mid C19 furnishings, including an elaborate stone reredos and pulpit (by James Williams of Ipswich) and a set of poppyhead benches. The most important survival is the series of monuments to the Cornwallis family of Brome Hall. Sir John Cornwallis (1544); Sir Thomas Cornwallis (1604): both with recumbent effigies on similar tomb chests. Henry Cornwallis (1598); Elizabeth, Lady Cornwallis (1680); Frederick, Lord Cornwallis (1661): all wall monuments. For details see Pevsner. Complete mid C19 stained glass.

Listing NGR: TM1450976464

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 280958

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)

End of official listing