CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1352395
Date first listed:
15-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352395 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 06:28:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Tostock
National Grid Reference:
TL 96051 63627

Details

TL 96 SE, 5/159

TOSTOCK, CHURCH ROAD, Church of St Andrew

15.11.54

GV

I

Parish church, medieval, restored 1872 by J. Sedding. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flushed flint and limestone rubble with inclusions of red brick, mainly in an approximate chequerboard pattern: this is probably C19 work. Dressings of freestone. Parapet gables. Slated nave roof, plaintiled chancel roof. In the south wall of the chancel is some coursed flint rubble walling, perhaps of C12. Late C13 chancel arch with clustered shafts and moulded capitals. Early C14 east window and plain south doorway. Late C14 and C15 square-headed windows. Late C14 tower with traceried belfry windows and flushwork traceried buttresses. Labelled west doorway: the spandrels are traceried with shields. 2-light window above. Porch added c.1400 to late C14 doorway. Shafted outer doorway with small niche above, side windows with unusual tracery, coupled rafter roof with moulded cornice. Major remodelling of nave in mid C15: large 3-light side windows.

INTERIOR: nave roof in four subdivided bays: double-hammerbeam trusses. The lower section of each truss has long beams and tenoned posts, out of the lower section of which is carved a niche in which is a standing figure. The spandrels are traceried. Carved arch braces. Moulded and arch-braced upper collars and king posts. The intermediate trusses have only long arch braces up to the collars, but at the foot of the principal rafter there is unusual foliate carving. A plain C14 niche beside chancel arch. C15 rood loft stairs and doorways in south nave wall and a small niche. A small late C14 piscina, ogee-headed, in the chancel. Good mid C14 font: the octagonal limestone bowl has varied foliate carving on each face, and the stem is reeded. Two sets of 12 benches: the 8 western-most on each side are C15 work with some restoration, and the remainder were added in C19. The seat backs are traceried and brattished, the ends have poppyheads, and a wide variety of creatures sit upon the buttresses. Late C17 altar rails with turned balusters. Two C18 slabs in the chancel floor.

Listing NGR: TL9605163627

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281262
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07480/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Eburne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].