Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352404.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 00:29:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 96223 66320



2/98 Church of St Andrew 15.11.54


Parish church, medieval. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Restorations of 1881 and 1897. Flint rubble with dressings of freestone; chequerboard flushwork panels at parapets and plinth of aisles and porch. Plaintiled nave and chancel roofs with parapet gables; other roofs flat behind parapets: some good C14 and C15 grotesque gargoyles. Early C14 features in chancel include a south doorway and two windows with cusped Y-tracery, one with grotesque dripstones. Over the doorway is a contemporary window whose wide inner splay may indicate a C12 origin. Late C14 tower with Y-traceried belfry windows and another below at the west end, but money bequeathed for its completion 1442. Mid C14 north and south nave doorways, the latter with its original cross-battened plank door and the former with a small stoup beside it. Porch and aisles remodelled in early C15; the porch has a shafted doorway with image niche above and tall side windows. 3-bay nave arcades of mid/late C14: the piers have trefoiled headed arches carved beneath the octagonal capitals. A small piscina in the south aisle. Good late C14 east window. Circa 1500 roof over chancel in 5 bays: arch-braced collarbeam trusses, the beams moulded and embattled, and a deep cornice with shallow mouldings; there is early paintwork at the end bay over the sanctuary. The nave and aisle roofs were rebuilt in C19: the truss adjacent to the chancel arch is carved with the date 1897. Vestry added in early C16: casement-moulded doorway, original oak plank door, and brick-arched fireplace. (The vestry was restored 1748 as carved on roof beam). Good C15 font with evangelists in sunk panels around the bowl, and,panelled stem with various supporting creatures around the chamfered corners. Poppyhead benches in both aisles; a set of 7 and another of 8; most have carved creatures seated upon the buttresses. 3 sets of late C14 choirstalls: two of 3 seats and one of 2; traditional pattern with delicately carved misericord figures. In the nave is a monument of 1626, whose painted inscription is lost. The deep ogee- headed crown has obelisks at the head and feet: here some painted decoration is visible including the standing skeletal figure of time with hourglass and sickle and the date 1626. Some medieval glass, especially at the heads of south chancel and south aisle windows. A large C15/C16 marble slab with brass sinking in the nave, another (smaller) with 3 later slabs in north aisle, and 5 slabs of various dates from C16 to early C19 in the chancel floor.

Listing NGR: TL9622366320


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12414/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Eburne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].