LITTLE HAUGH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1352425
Date first listed:
15-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
LITTLE HAUGH HALL, STANTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE HAUGH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352425 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 17:10:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
LITTLE HAUGH HALL, STANTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Norton
National Grid Reference:
TL 95217 66647

Details

TL 96 NE NORTON STANTON STREET 2/111 Little Haugh Hall 15.11.54

GV II*

Former manor house, c.1730 for the antiquary Cox Macro. Much remodelled c.1830 for Peter Huddleston. Main elevation stuccoed brick with a band above lst storey windows, and a parapet with bold moulded cornice. Low-pitched hipped slated roof with internal chimneys of gault brick, and one C19 lead- clad dormer. 2 storeys. 8-window main range; a slightly set-back range to right has 5 windows with a semi-circular full-height bay at the centre. Small-pane sashes. Entrance door with 6 fielded panels, the oblong fanlight having radiating bars with enrichment in the manner of a fan. Greek Ionic portico porch in 3 bays, with columns supporting a flat entablature and open balustrading with balusters also in 3 bays. South elevation: gault brick of c.1830. 4 windows: sashes with flat arches of gauged brick: small panes and blind boxes. West elevation: red brick of c.1730, with traces of C19 colourwash. A band at 1st floor and beneath eaves: there is no parapet here. 5 windows. Sashes with flat arches of gauged brick: small panes with original thick glazing bars. At the centre is a fine Venetian staircase window with Corinthian columns and pilasters supporting a frieze through which the central arched sash rises. Beneath is a half-glazed panelled door, with Gibbs surround incorporating a moulded cornice. To north at this elevation-the service range is in gault brick of c.1830, and a further lower range extends to left. Interior: High-quality work of c.1730-40 is in the entrance hall and staircase area, and in adjacent rooms. Fine staircase with moulded handrail and turned balusters; carved enrichment on the staircase and landing and in the dining-room, and possibly by Thomas Ross. These areas have fine joinery including doorways, full panelling and fireplaces. Deeply domed ceiling over tha landing with a painting by Francis Hayman, 1741. An enriched plaster ceiling by, possibly, James Burrough, c.1745 in the dining room. Major early C19 remodelling included the removal of a 3rd storey and the raising of the 1st floor level at the south end, involving the use of dummy windows. For full illustrated description and documentary references: Little Hau h Hall, Suffolk: Country Life June 5th 1958: Norman Scarfe. For further details of interior: The Buildings of England: Suffolk: Sir N Pevsner.

Listing NGR: TL9521766647

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281214
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)
'Country Life' in 5 June, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/13328/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Eburne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].