CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1352641
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352641 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 00:23:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Oulton
National Park:
THE BROADS
National Grid Reference:
TM 51008 93578

Details

OULTON CHURCH LANE TM 59 SW 3/28 Church of St. Michael 27.11.54 I Parish church. Medieval, restored 1862. Nave, chancel, central tower, north transept, south porch. Mainly flint rubble with remains of plasterwork; stone dressings. Plaintiled roofs. Square tower: the lower portion is C12, with evidence for blocked window openings on the north side; the upper part of the tower has been rebuilt in red brick, C18 and later. C12 nave with original north and south doorways, the arch to the south doorway with chevron ornament. The nave windows are in the Perpendicular style, the 3 to the north largely original. C15 porch, considerably restored, with a brick entrance arch and statue niche above; inside there are 4 stoups. Good C14 3-bay chancel: 2 of the windows on each side and the 4-light east window have reticulated tracery. The windows to the north and east are mostly original. The north transept has been altered and enlarged, and is now used as the organ chamber and vestry. The lower part of the end wall has coursed rubblework and is probably C13. Interior. C12 tower arches on plain imposts; the west arch has one order of chevron ornament. There are later arches to the former south transept and a west aisle attached to this transept. Mid C19 nave roof with shallow scissor- bracing to the trusses. The chancel roof and ceiling were renewed in 1967. Stairs to former rood loft. In the sanctuary a trefoil-arched piscina and drop-sill sedilia. Wel-preserved C15 octagonal font: the bowl panels have flowers alternating with lions and with angels bearing shields; there are angels to the underside of the bowl and 4 lions against the stem. A west gallery is dated 1836. On the south nave wall is a monument to Thomas Hunt (1808). 2 fine effigy brasses stolen in 1857 have been replaced by mid C20 replicas. Over the tower arch to the nave are the Arms of James II. The furnishings are largely of C20 date.

Listing NGR: TM5100893578

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282379
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07055/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Barlow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].