BURNDEN VIADUCT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352680

Date first listed: 05-Apr-2002

Statutory Address: BURNDEN VIADUCT, ST PETER'S WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of BURNDEN VIADUCT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352680 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 02:43:23.

Location

Statutory Address: BURNDEN VIADUCT, ST PETER'S WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SD 72623 08246

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



797-1/0/10016 05-APR-02

ST PETER'S WAY Rose Hill Burnden Viaduct

II

Also Known As: Bolton Valley Viaduct, ST PETER'S WAY, Rose Hill

Alternatively known as: Bolton Valley Viaduct, ST PETER'S WAY, Rose Hill Railway viaduct. 1848 (piers), for the Manchester and Leeds (Liverpool and Bury) Railway, 1881-2 (spans) for the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, c1958 (deck) for British Railways. Wrought iron and coursed squared rock faced limestone. Six span viaduct with reduced stone piers over the valley of the River Croal. The spans are deep wrought iron girders, four double Warren girders under the tracks. History: This line was opened by the L&YR in 1848, having just taken over the M&LR, who had themselves absorbed the L&BR which had started out building the line between Bolton and Bury. The decking was replaced by pre-cast concrete in 1958. The line was closed to passenger traffic in 1951 and completely in 1970. The piers were reduced in height by 4.50m when St. Peter's Way was built culverting the River Croal but the bases presumably survive underground. References: Bill Simpson, Railways in and around Bolton, Foxline Publishing, 1990. Alan Earnshaw, The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, Book Law Publications, pps 98-9. C.Awdry, Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies, Patrick Stephens Limited, 1990.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 489719

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Awdry, C, Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies, (1990)
Earnshaw, A, The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Then and Now, (1992)
Simpson, B, Railways in and around Bolton, (1990)

End of official listing