39 AND 40, BRIDGE ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352703

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1947

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Feb-1991

Statutory Address: 39 AND 40, BRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 39 AND 40, BRIDGE ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352703 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 11:42:44.

Location

Statutory Address: 39 AND 40, BRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Waverley (District Authority)

Parish: Godalming

National Grid Reference: SU 97250 43935

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GODALMING BRIDGE STREET SU 9743 NW (north west side) 13/26 Nos 39 and 40 18.12.47 (formerly listed with Nos 37 and 38) GV II

Former Brewery grain store. C17, probably mid, of 2 builds; C20 addition and alterations. Timber-framed with brick infill and rubblestone plinth; plain tile roofs. No 40 on left of 2 storeys, 3 framed bays, with cross-wing (No 39) on right projecting to rear of 3 storeys; 2-storey C20 out- shut addition in angle. Road front: stone plinth. Timber frame comprises sole plate (to No 40), posts, studs, rails and wall-plates forming small square panels infilled with brick. Each section has a set of double doors with a taking-in hatchway above, and another to top floor of No 39, the three panels above this open and with ledge. Half-hipped roof to No 39. Right return (No 39): timber frame as before, with two arched braces from posts to wall plate at eaves; various small-pane windows set in panels. Left return: No 40 has door- way, later first floor window, and small eaves opening on right; C20 outshut on left not of special interest. Interior: on ground floor, large-scantling cross-beams and joists, the former with carpenters' marks and some with good stops to chamfers; cross-wing (No 39) side-wall removed to form continuous open space with C20 addition, but mortices in soffit of wall plate indicate position of former timbers. Cross-wing (No 39) has first floor gypsum floor set on wide floorboards, with various trap doors; butted board wall between this and No 40; charred roof timbers and some replaced (following mid C20 fire), 3 original queen-strut roof trusses at rear end, and one collared truss at front end; square section ridge-piece. Roof of No 40 has 2 queen-post trusses (timbers reused) and 2 collared rafter trusses at right end, adjoining No 39. Large- scantling rafters flat side down; no ridge-piece. This site was owned and occupied by a mealman and maltster who bequeathed the malthouse in 1689 (Jon Janaway, pers. comm.).

Listing NGR: SU9725043935

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 291295

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing