THE DEANERY INCLUDING THE FORMER STABLES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1352882

Date first listed: 03-Aug-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 13-May-1987

Statutory Address: THE DEANERY INCLUDING THE FORMER STABLES, UPPER LAKE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE DEANERY INCLUDING THE FORMER STABLES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352882 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 03:53:45.

Location

Statutory Address: THE DEANERY INCLUDING THE FORMER STABLES, UPPER LAKE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Rother (District Authority)

Parish: Battle

National Grid Reference: TQ 75024 15850

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 7415-7515 BATTLE UPPER LAKE (north side)

41/45 The Deanery including the former stables (formerly listed as 3.8.61 The Deanery and the Stables) GV II*

The Vicar of Battle is called the Dean, and this is the Vicarage. C16, 2 storeys and attic. 5 windows. 5 dormers. Red brick. 2 bay windows on ground and first floor. Long and short stone quoins at the main angles of the front and at the angles of the bays. Stone stringcourses above first floor. Embattled brick parapet which passes round the bays and rises to a crow-stepped gable in the centre with the centre dormer in it. Casement windows with stone mullions. Rainwater heads dated 1669. Entrance to porch 1670, with half-round Ionic columns, moulded frieze and pediment, with original C16 door of 6 panes with moulded frame. The porch with crow-stepped gable was built round this entrance in 1960. Also additions made at the back of the house at the same time. The stables adjoin the house on the west and cannot be considered separately from it. They date from 1670.

Listing NGR: TQ7502815852

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 292249

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing