This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1353113



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Eastbourne

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-May-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 293552

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/02/2015

TV 6098 7/30 1065




The property of the Duke of Devonshire. The present house was built in 1726 for Sir Spencer Compton, Earl of Wilmington (c1674-1743), on the site of a Jacobean house which was remodelled by the architect Colen Campbell (1676-1729). Extensively altered and stuccoed circa 1800 for Lord George Cavendish (1754-1834 - later 1st Earl of Burlington of the second creation). It is an E shaped building consisting of a centre portion and 2 projecting wings. Originally red brick, stuccoed in the early C19. 2 storeys and attic. Cornice and parapet. Slate roof with lead ridges. The North front has 9 windows and 6 dormers; a large 3 light sash window in the centre of the 1st floor and the same on the ground floor of the wings; and a large porch with 4 Doric columns and an iron balcony above. The South or garden front has 13 windows, a slight projection at each end and a bay of 3 windows in the centre. This is a canted bay with an iron balcony round it on the 1st floor and a curved bay on the ground floor with 4 Doric columns supporting the entablature - 1 between each window. The interior of the house has good plaster work on the walls, also on a ceiling in 1 of the bedrooms, 5 chimney pieces, doorcases, staircase etc. See H Avray Tipping's article in "English Country Homes, Period 5". To the East of the house is the office wing built of cobbles which is not of any distinction and adjoining it a 2nd set of stables and coach-houses probably added by Lord George Cavendish in the early C19.

Listing NGR: TV6029498582

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Avray Tipping, H, 'English Homes' in Period 5 Early Georgian 1714-1760, ()
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 14 East Sussex,

National Grid Reference: TV 60294 98582


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353113 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 08:41:51.

End of official listing