14, CLAREMONT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1353250

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: 14, CLAREMONT

Map

Ordnance survey map of 14, CLAREMONT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353250 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 12:39:53.

Location

Statutory Address: 14, CLAREMONT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Hastings (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 81428 09365

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLAREMONT 1. 5204 No 14 TQ 8109 SW 12/323A II 2. G.V. Printing works and shop. Upper floors converted to health club. Adjoins and integral with the Brassey Institute (q.v.) as part of Claremont Buildings (north side). 1878-80. W L Vernon for Thomas Brassey, M.P. in a style derived from C16 North European sources. Red brick with stone details, timber framing, sgaffitto and ceramic tile decoration, tiled roof. Four storeys and attic with a half hipped dormer to front. Ground floor shopfront: glazed timber frame (6x4 panes) with top panes infilled. Double doorway to lobby and stairs to left, arched doorway to shop in canted angle at corner with side lane to right. Left hand doorway and shopfront are framed by panelled pilasters with foliage capitals supporting a fascia panel with black lettering on gilded glass inscribed OBSERVER AND ADVERTISER OFFICES. Pilaster to left of doorway decorated with polychrome ceramic tiling with panel inscribed PARSONS STEAM PRINTING WORKS. Slender cast iron column with capital to right of doorway. Double doors to lobby faced with diagonal boarding. Above canted doorway to shop angle supported by moulded stone corbelling. Three window front to second and third storeys with metal framed casements inset in three tall recesses each with a moulded stone arched head above the third storey windows. Inset stone heads above the second storey windows. Three painted spandrel panels between windows in each recess with illustrations of printing processes in side panels and bust of Caxton in central pane inscribed W.C 1477. Projecting from the fourth storey a wide timber framed oriel supported on a deep cove with curved brackets on carved corbels at either end. Cove decorated in red and buff: foliage pattern with three roundels inscribed in sequence GUTTENBERG, CAXTON, WALTER. Two groups of three sashes and single sidelight sashes in the framing of the oriel. The attic dormer has two sashes, coved eaves cornice and pierced barge-boards.

Interior. Ceramic tile paving to lobby with inscription, original staircase.

Listing NGR: TQ8142809365

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 294172

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing