Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1353255

Date first listed: 09-Nov-1990



Ordnance survey map of MARIANNE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353255 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 07:10:16.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Hastings (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 82925 10336


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 82 10 19/595


Formerly listed as No 77 (Hastings Lodge)

Formerly listed under LONDON ROAD


House and hotel; later convent school. South wing is house of 1827 built by Mr North, later Lord North the MP for Hastings and birthplace of his daughter Marianne North the noted botanical illustrator, the north wing is a later C19 spa hotel. South wing is stuccoed with incised lines with slate roof. Overhanging bracket eaves cornice. 3 storeys and basement; 4 windows. 2nd floor windows are C20 casements in original openings. 1st floor has 3 12-pane sashes and ground floor has 2 similar. Bands between floors. The principal feature is a large 2 storey curved bow, the 1st floor having a tented canopy and 4 light window with French windows and marginal glazing. 6 cast iron columns and elaborate cast iron balcony. Ground floor has similar windows with marginal lights and most unusual louvred vertical shutters with 4 grooves, later doorcase. Attached to right side ground floor is a 1 storey pedimented function room with blank tablet and pilasters. Attached to the north is a later C19 former spa hotel, stuccoed with hipped slate roof. Front elevation is of 2 storeys and attics 3 windows. Central 3 light dormer and 2 2-storey canted bays round headed porch with pedimented porte-cochere. Rear elevation wing to drop in ground is of 3 storeys and basement with similar 2 storey canted bays tile hung between floors and round-headed openings to ground floor. Earlier wing has staircase with 2 turned balusters to each step and mahogany handrail, round-headed stair light with marginal glazing and round-headed niche to 2nd floor. The Dining Room has mid C19 vine leaf cornice and ceiling rose and the music room has a c1860 marble fireplace. The function room has pilasters. Series of original patent air vents the former spa hotel has an imperial staircase with wooden baluster and a round-headed stained glass panel with peacock, a similar one with doves and a linette with pears and apples. The original spring was filled in but the tiled plunge bath area remains. Visitors to the North house included Edward Lear and the house is shown on early prints including one showing the entrance of the Duchess of Kent and Princess Victoria into Hastings in 1834.

Listing NGR: TQ8292510336


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 294177

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing