THE RUINS OF BRAMBLETYE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1353491

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1953

Statutory Address: THE RUINS OF BRAMBLETYE HOUSE, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RUINS OF BRAMBLETYE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353491 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 05:36:01.

Location

Statutory Address: THE RUINS OF BRAMBLETYE HOUSE, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden (District Authority)

Parish: Forest Row

National Grid Reference: TQ 41737 35413

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FOREST ROW LONDON ROAD 1. 5208 The Ruins of Brambletye House TQ 43 NW 4/20 26.11.53 II* 2. Remains of a mansion built by Sir Henry Compton in the reign of James I. The ruins consist principally of 3 towers of 3 storeys each standing now unattached to each other. Ashlar. The west tower is surmounted by an ogee-shaped cupola with finial. The centre one, which was the entrance porch with rooms above it, has the date 1631 in a lozenge above the second floor window; a 4-centre archway with carved spandrels and dripstone over; cartouche above this with cornice above it which is carried up to form an ogee. The east tower is plain with one window on each floor. All windows have stone mullions. The windows in the west tower still retain their glass. To the north of the towers is a round-headed stone archway with a keystone and imposts, and a portion of a wall on either side of it. AM

Listing NGR: TQ4173735413

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 296074

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing