JARVIS BROOK, ROTHERFIELD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1353619
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
22-May-1989
Statutory Address:
JARVIS BROOK, ROTHERFIELD HALL, TREBLERS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of JARVIS BROOK, ROTHERFIELD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353619 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 15:34:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
JARVIS BROOK, ROTHERFIELD HALL, TREBLERS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Wealden (District Authority)
Parish:
Rotherfield
National Grid Reference:
TQ 54291 28983

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/12/2012

TQ 52 NW 20/257 26.11.53

ROTHERFIELD TREBLERS ROAD (east side, off) Jarvis Brook, Rotherfield Hall

GV II*

House. Dated 1535, and C17; extended and altered 1897 by Francis Inigo Thomas for Lindsay Lindsay-Hogg; later alterations. Earlier work in coursed squared stone, C19 work in middlestone brought to course, all with ashlar dressings; brick stacks; plain tile roofs. The earlier, northern, half was built up in stages to form a square plan with central courtyard, the north and east ranges possibly being the earliest parts; the south half built on in 1897 in matching style. 2 storeys with attic; 11 bays, the 5 northern bays being the earliest. Windows have hollow-moulded architraves and cyma-moulded hoodmoulds to those not set below eaves; stone mullions, transoms to most windows; of 2 or 3 lights to main elevations. East (entrance) elevation: central full-height gabled porch dated "L/H/A 1897" having steps up to round-arched, nail-studded, panelled door below canopy supported by columns and with ball-on-cushion finials; 3-light window over has tripartite keystone in tympanum of segmental pediment. Bays 3 and 9 have embattled, 2-storey, projecting bays each with a 3-light Perpendicular-style ground-floor window with decorative panel over, and a gabled attic dormer, that to bay 9 with date "1669". Mullioned cellar windows to bays 8 and 10. Possibly added external stack between right-hand windows has offset buttress and old brick chimney; other stacks to ridge, to rear roof line and at left side. Ball finials to gables. Hipped roof. West (garden) elevation: central full-height gabled porch with round archway to internal porch; "1535" datestone and some 1-light windows at left end; at right end a wide opening with central column to 1st-floor loggia; 2 hipped-roofed dormers. Right return: three 4-light windows to each floor; blocked 3-light cellar windows to left and right; 3 buttresses with offsets and stones inscribed: "SS/1666" to left, "LLH/&/ALH" to centre, and "LH/1891" to right. Left return: on left, 3-bay hipped-roofed projection with 3 rusticated round-arched openings to ground floor and 2-columned loggia on 1st floor, the doors and windows with small-paned glazing. Interior: principal features of interest are in the earlier, northern, part. Ground floor: rear right-hand room has stone Tudor-arched fireplace with leafy spandrels, "1535" datestone and similarly-dated moulded wooden cornice, nail-studded panelled doors with raised lozenges and elaborately-decorated architraves; similar fireplaces in hall and in front right-hand room, which also has C16-style panelling; rear range at left end has old inglenook fireplace (with panelled surround of 1908); C19 stair in C17 style. 1st floor: front range has jewelled wall posts supporting large-scantling cross-beams with stepped, cyma stops; right range has moulded stone Tudor-arched fireplate to rear room; rear range has large-scantling chamfered beams with pyramidal, cyma stops; left range has a corniced hollow-moulded 1-light window in formerly external wall. Roof: collared principal rafter trusses; bridle-jointed rafters; chamfered butt purlins staggered in right range, left end of rear range formerly hipped; rafters formerly between rear range and left range removed, indicating different building phases. The original house was built for the Fowles family, who made their wealth in the iron industry. The architectural design of the house is carried on in its garden setting also designed by Inigo Thomas, and listed Grade II* in the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Interest. Country Lift Vol 26 (August 14th 1909), pp. 228-236. Architectural Review, Vol 34 (1913), pp 19-20.



Listing NGR: TQ5429128983

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
296677
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 14 East Sussex,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].