LANCING COLLEGE, THE EAST AND WEST QUADRANGLES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1353732
Date first listed:
27-Jul-1984
Statutory Address:
LANCING COLLEGE, THE EAST AND WEST QUADRANGLES, COLLEGE DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LANCING COLLEGE, THE EAST AND WEST QUADRANGLES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353732 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 09:38:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
LANCING COLLEGE, THE EAST AND WEST QUADRANGLES, COLLEGE DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Adur (District Authority)
Parish:
Lancing
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
TQ 19492 06554

Details

LANCING COLLEGE DRIVE TQ 10 NE 2/7 Lancing College, the east and west Quadrangles II*

The College of St Mary and St Nicholas was founded by Nathaniel Woodard in 1848 and originally housed in the Old Vicarage (now St Mary's House) at Shoreham-by-Sea. The earliest buildings here were the north, west and south sides of the Lower Quadrangle. They were designed by R C Carpenter and built by him between 1853 and his death in 1855 and continued by his partner, William Slater between 1855 and 1866. They are built of knapped flints with stone dressings and quoins. Slate roof. Gothic style. Casement windows. The north and south sides have three storeys and attic. Twelve windows and three gabled dormers each. Projecting cloister on ground floor with large pointed windows with cusping and a sloping roof. Windows above with two or three trefoil-headed lights. The west side has two storeys and a similar cloister but not projecting. Central gable with two tall windows and clock-face above. Eight smaller gables on each side with one window each. The east side comprises the hall, which was designed by R C Carpenter's son, R R Carpenter, and built between 1866 and 1867. Seven window-bays flanked by buttresses. Four large elaborate dormers and an octagonal wooden turret with shingled spire.

The rest of the east side is open, but in front of it a detached building was erected in 1930 and designed by the Headmaster, Dr Blakiston, in matching style. Two tall gables and one gabled dormer between. Windows of two, three or four lights with trefoil-headed lights. Pointed doorway.

In the Upper Quadrangle the south and east sides are by William Slater, the north side by R H Carpenter and the west side by Maxwell Ayrton, completed in 1913. Two storeys. Twenty windows to each side. The north, west and south sides have a cloister with pointed arches. The east side has a central projecting octagonal turret with a polygonal shingled roof. The north side has a central five-sided projection with polygonal shingled roof. Three large "Decorated windows. In the north west corner is a taller building of gate-house type. This has five storeys and three windows. Castellated parapet. Two projecting turrets at the angles. The west front has a large central gabled projection with stair turret to south west of it. Graded partly for historical interest as the central buildings of Woodard's scheme of education.

Listing NGR: TQ1945206529

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
297258
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/15763/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril Selby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].