CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1353782

Date first listed: 14-May-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353782 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 00:06:03.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)

Parish: Whitmore

National Grid Reference: SJ 83189 42242

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 84 SW WHITMORE C.P. BUTTERTON

6/173 Church of St Thomas

II*

Parish church. 1844, by Thomas Hopper. Sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth with fishscale tile roofs; Lombard frieze throughout. Romanesque style; cruciform in plan with squat spire to tower; south-east vestry. Buttressed nave in 2 bays, round-headed windows with nook shafts, west door in similar style. Tower: rising one stage above nave; narrow round-headed windows to belfry, 2 to each face; moulded parapet; octagonal stair turret lit by 2 narrow round-headed openings at north- west corner; squat octagonal spire with one tier of 4 gabled lucarnes. Transepts: both in one bay; windows in gable ends both of 2 round- headed lights, also with nook shafts, that on south with doorway beneath. Short chancel of only one bay; East window a triplet of round-headed lights. Flat-roofed vestry on south side with entrance through round- headed doorway on east. Interior: rather plain but largely unaltered. Plastered panelled roofs and rib vault with foliated boss to tower; fittings and furnishings of 1844 including Romanesque-style wooden pulpit, brass altar rails to raised semi-circular sanctuary with carved reredos (angels blowing trumpets over a foot long), benches to nave and box pews to transepts; at the north-west corner of nave a screened- off baptistery, raised encaustic tiled floor (separated from nave by a low brass rail) with a small trefoil-shaped Byzantine-style font on a triplet of red marble columns. Stained glass of late C19/early C20. Monuments: memorials on east wall of south transept to Mary Milbourne Swinnerton (died 1854 and co-founder of the church) with a kneeling female figure; also to her son, Sir William Milbourne Milbourne Swinnerton Pilkington (died 1855) with a draped urn; both by G. Lewis and Co. of Cheltenham. The church was built at the expense of Sir William Pilkington of nearby Butterton Hall (now demolished) and stands alone in a field. B.O.E., Pp.91-2; Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840 (1978), p.434.

Listing NGR: SJ8318942242

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 362719

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 434
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

End of official listing