PARK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1353783

Date first listed: 14-May-1985

Statutory Address: PARK HOUSE, PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353783 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 23:53:46.

Location

Statutory Address: PARK HOUSE, PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)

Parish: Whitmore

National Grid Reference: SJ 83410 42559

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 84 SW WHITMORE C.P. PARK ROAD (south side)

6/178 Park House

II

Stable block, now part house, part stables. C.1840, possibly by Thomas Hopper, with later additions and alterations. Sandstone ashlar to south and east sides, red brick to north and west, low-pitched slate hipped roofs. Square in plan around central courtyard. 2 levels; moulded eaves to south and east and dentilled eaves cornice to north and west. South (entrance) front: in 5 bays; central pedimented break in vermi- culated stonework with low elliptical stable arch and 2 flanking blind arches, also elliptical, on either side; moulded impost band runs right across. Return to right (east) has imposing central pedimented portico with 2 pairs of Tuscan columns, flanked by 4 windows on either side, mostly blind, the 2 right-hand ground floor ones (4-paned sashes with horns) are set lower; first floor cill band; 3 ashlar ridge stacks with moulded capping, one to left and 2 to right of central portico. Late C19 brick domestic extension set-back to right. The interior of the courtyard has 4 elliptical arches on east side, leading to C19 loose boxes. The blocks of moulded and dressed stone, arranged on the ground in a rough circle by the north-east corner of the stable block, probably come from the former Butterton Hall, built by Thomas Hopper for Sir William Pilkington in the TudorGothic style c.1840-50 and demolished in 1921. Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600- 1840, (1978), p.435.

Listing NGR: SJ8341042559

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 362724

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 435

End of official listing