THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1354682

Date first listed: 18-Jun-1959

Statutory Address: THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, BEECHWOOD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354682 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 17:10:13.

Location

Statutory Address: THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, BEECHWOOD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester (District Authority)

Parish: East Lavington

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: SU 94620 16263

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 91 NW EAST LAVINGTON BEECHWOOD LANE 18/1 The Parish Church of 18.6.59 St Peter

II* C13, restored, in fact largely rebuilt by G E Street about 1870 and again in 1937 at the expense of Mrs Catherine Macdonald Bushanon of Lavington Park. Chancel, south transept or chapel, nave with north aisle and bell-gable at west end of the nave. The Reverend Henry Edward (afterwards Cardinal) Manning was Rector of the living, combined with Graffham, from 1833-51 and Archdeacon of Chichester from 1841-51. He was married in the church on the 7 November 1833 to Caroline, third daughter of the previous Rector, The Reverend John Sargent and grandaughter of Mrs Sargent of Lavington Park. Mrs Manning is buried in the churchyard but has no tombstone. The Reverend Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford and later of Winchester, was also married in the church on the 11 June 1828 to Mrs Manning's eldest sister, Emily. Both she and the Bishop are buried in the churchyard beside Mrs Manning.

Listing NGR: SU9462016263

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 301699

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing