ARDINGLY COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1354803

Date first listed: 11-May-1983

Statutory Address: ARDINGLY COLLEGE, COLLEGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ARDINGLY COLLEGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354803 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 18:30:46.

Location

Statutory Address: ARDINGLY COLLEGE, COLLEGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex (District Authority)

Parish: Ardingly

National Grid Reference: TQ 33994 28561

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARDINGLY COLLEGE ROAD 1. 5405 Ardingly College TQ 32 NW 11/415 II

2. St Saviour's College, Ardingly, was the third school established by Nathaniel Woodard. It was founded in 1858 and until 1870 was houses in St Mary's House, (the old Vicarage) Shoreham-by-Sea, which had previously been the original home of both Lancing and Hurstpierpoint Colleges. The Architects of the College were William Slater and R H Carpenter. The foundation stone was laid on 12 July 1864. The buildings form a complete H with open sides north and south. The School House, which is one of the wings extending south, was built in 1864-5, the Headmster's House balancing it between 1865 and 1870, as also the Dining-room with the Assimbly-room over it in the central block; the North School (now the Junior School) in 1880, the Chapel completing the central block in 1855-83, the Cloisters joining the School House and the Headmaster's House along the south face of the central block in 1892 and the New Wing balancing the North School in 1926-7. The buildings are in Gothic style and are of red brick with tiled roofs. The Chapel occupies the east end of the central block comprising 4 bays flanked by buttresses each containing a window of Decorated type. It extends into a further 2 bays east of the south east or west Wing. Above the roof is a base for a tower but no spire. To the west of the Chapel is a pointed carriage archway leading through the central block in the centre of the court-yard with an oriel window above it. To the west of this are the Dining-room and Assembly-room above having 5 pointed windows on the first floor and 5 windows of triple lancets below. The north west wing, formerly known as the North School but now as the Junior School, has 3 sills, 12 windows, 3 gables and 6 gabled dormer windows. The windows consist of pairs of lancets. The north east or New Wing has 4 storeys, 16 windows and 6 gables. At the south end of it is a bay window on all floors. The other windows are casement windows of 2 tiers of 3 lights. Reference. The Builder 1867 pps 835-6.

Listing NGR: TQ3399428561

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 302289

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in The Builder, (1867), 835-836

End of official listing