CHURCH OF ST WILFRED

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1354934

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WILFRED, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354934 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 11:12:26.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WILFRED, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex (District Authority)

Parish: Haywards Heath

National Grid Reference: TQ 33098 23915

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 32 SW HAYWARDS HEATH CHURCH ROAD 4/111 Church of St Wilfred 10.9.51 II* Church. 1863-5 by G F Bodley in Decorated style. Built of Sussex and Ardingly sandstones with tiled roof having decorative ridge tiles. Central tower, 5 bay nave with clerestory and lean to aisles with buttresses. South chapel in transept and short chancel of 1 bay. Tower of 3 stages with SE turret with stepped buttresses and octagonal turret above. Hipped tiled roof with iron finial. Bell-stage has double pointed window. Nave has quatrefoil and cinquefoil openings to clerestory. Deep plinth to aisles whose windows have double original openings and trefoliated heads. SW gabled porch with cross-shaped saddlestone and arched doorcase with hood moulding and panelled door. Interior has roof of crown-post type: Tall west window with intersecting tracery. North walls rest on alternate octagonal and circular piers. Central tower rests on boldly pointed transverse arches. East window contains expressionist glass by A Archer 1962-3. Low stone screen, with alternate rose and fleur-de-lys motifs, separates nave from choir under tower. South aisle contains some William Morris stained glass of Saints c1870. South chapel has unusual stained glass depicting soldiers at the front and being hospitalized during the First World War. Wooden lectern on stone base. Graded II* for rarity of Bodley Churches. (See Pevsner, Buildings of England, Sussex, pp 529 and 530.)

Listing NGR: TQ3309823915

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 303022

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, The Buildings of England: Sussex, (1965), 529 530

End of official listing