SALVATION ARMY CITADEL (SCOTCH CHURCH)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1354988

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: SALVATION ARMY CITADEL (SCOTCH CHURCH), HOWARD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SALVATION ARMY CITADEL (SCOTCH CHURCH)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354988 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 13:55:52.

Location

Statutory Address: SALVATION ARMY CITADEL (SCOTCH CHURCH), HOWARD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 35628 68395

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TYNEMOUTH HOWARD STREET (west side) NZ 3568 SE North Shields 14/83 Salvation Army Citadel (Scotch Church) G.V. II Non-conformist church, now Salvation Army Citadel. 1811 by John Dobson for seccessionist church. Sandstone ashlar; graduated slate roof. Greek Doric style One storey and attic; 3 bays. Central half-glazed double door and large over- light flanked by narrow windows and pilasters to frieze with bull's head ornament. Similar ornament to bracketed canopies of windows in side bays and to central tripartite attic window, all with renewed glazing. Large capitals to pilasters defining bays. Complete entablature; plain pilasters define attic bays and raised central parapet with ramped sides. Ground floor sill band. Historical note: built for a church established 1759 by the Rev. Joseph Wilkinson; known as the Scotch Church because by deed the Minister had to be a licentiate of the Church of Scotland.

Listing NGR: NZ3562868395

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 303328

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing