NOS 26, 28 AND 30 AND RAILINGS TO FRONT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1355058

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1949

Statutory Address: NOS 26, 28 AND 30 AND RAILINGS TO FRONT, 26,28 AND 30, CASTLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NOS 26, 28 AND 30 AND RAILINGS TO FRONT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355058 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 14:26:38.

Location

Statutory Address: NOS 26, 28 AND 30 AND RAILINGS TO FRONT, 26,28 AND 30, CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: NY 39819 56047

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARLISLE

NY3956SE CASTLE STREET 671-1/6/74 (West side) 01/06/49 Nos.26, 28 AND 30 and railings to front

GV II*

Terrace of 3 houses, now offices, flats and restaurant. 1823, for and by Paul Nixson, a Carlisle architect with his own marble works. Calciferous sandstone ashlar, rusticated on the ground floor with sill bands and modillioned eaves cornice. Graduated greenslate roof with skylights and dormer windows at rear; C19 ridge and end brick chimney stacks, some rendered and painted. 3 storeys, 9 bays; each house of 3 bays; double-depth houses. 3 left railed gates in railed void, give access down stone steps to cellar door under each entrance. Each house has steps at right to panelled door and overlight with Greek-key pattern, in prostyle Ionic porch. Sash windows with glazing bars in plain reveals on ground floor and cellar; in stone architraves with cornices and panelled aprons on first floor, those over doorways with console brackets. Smaller attic windows. INTERIOR has moulded plaster ceilings on both floors, some with roundels and panels (rib-vaulted in the hall of No.26). Panelled internal shutters at front and rear. Good C19 white and black marble fireplaces in most principal rooms; the white marble one in the first floor room of No.26 has a figured frieze, probably carved by David Dunbar, Nixson's principal sculptor (Nixson's speciality was carved fireplaces). Panelled doors in panelled reveals, some of mahogony; original staircases, that in No.26 is spiral with patterned cast-iron balusters, in a domed well. HISTORY: The Carlisle Patriot, 5 July 1823, says "the houses now in course of erection in Castle Street, by Paul Nixson, will be a great ornament to the town - the beautiful white stone and architecture are worthy of each other". That these are the houses referred to is confirmed by BC Jones, CWAAS.Trans., NS, LXXXVIII, but he wrongly dated the terrace to 1829 on the evidence of land tax assessment records. (Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New Series: Jones, Bruce: LXXXVII: Before Tullie House: P.141; Carlisle Patriot: 5 July 1823).

Listing NGR: NY3981956047

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 386656

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Carlisle Patriot' in 5 July, (1823)
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 87, (), 141

End of official listing