CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST THOMAS AQUINAS AND PREBYTERY ADJOINING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355082
Date first listed:
18-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST THOMAS AQUINAS AND PREBYTERY ADJOINING, STELLA ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST THOMAS AQUINAS AND PREBYTERY ADJOINING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355082.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Nov-2019 at 21:55:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST THOMAS AQUINAS AND PREBYTERY ADJOINING, STELLA ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Gateshead (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 17209 63991

Details

NZ 16 SE BLAYDON STELLA ROAD (south side)

4/27 Church of St. Mary and St. Thomas Aquinas and presbytery adjoining. G.V. II

R.C. church and presbytery. 1831 - 2 by John Green; 1848 - 9, porch, chancel and fleche by Dobson. Church: coursed squared sandstone with plinth and ashlar dressings; roof Westmorland slate with stone gable copings. Aligned north-south. Nave and chancel. 6-bay nave has alternate block jambs and sloping sills to lancet windows; gabled buttresses between. In second bay steeply-gabled porch with elaborate doorway. Above porch a 3-mouchettes window. Chancel has 3 lancets and stepped buttresses. Cross finials to low-pitched roof of nave and steeply-pitched of chancel. Octagonal stone belfry over chancel arch has weather vane finial to spirelet. Interior: deep splays to lancets; pointed chancel arch with dog-tooth on shafted columns with foliage capitals. Chancel has sedilia on south, seat in imitation of wall tomb on north. Gothic revival altar, and wood communion rail. Glass in the first north bay of nave, in memory of Thomas Parker, priest, died 1847. Other good Victorian glass, also in porch. Presbytery attached to north: sandstone ashlar; roof concealed by parapet. Perpendicular style. 3 storeys, 5 windows x 2. North elevation of one, 3 and one windows has central projecting bay and corner turret. Central pointed-arched door between shafts recessed in flat-headed surround, with mouchettes in spandrels under label mould; above this a 3-light transomed window between bracketed niches under label moulds; ogee-headed niches in gable peak. Flanking recessed bays have 2-light windows; square turrets one-light sash window with stone mullions. Roof: high central ridge flanked by 2 low ledges. Interior: turrets provide corner cupboards; some Gothick, some 3-over-3-panelled doors; blocked door on second landing formerly communicated with organ loft of church.

Listing NGR: NZ1720963991

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303794
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/12184/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].