CATHEDRAL SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1355157

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: CATHEDRAL SCHOOL, COLLEGE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CATHEDRAL SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355157 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 12:24:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CATHEDRAL SCHOOL, COLLEGE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 58342 72640

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5872NW COLLEGE GREEN 901-1/15/63 (South side) 08/01/59 Cathedral School (Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE GREEN (South side) Cathedral Church, Chapter House, Cathedral School, Cloisters & Old Deanery)

GV II*

Part of St Augustine's Abbey, founded 1140, containing the refectory and a C13 right-hand archway, with upper walls early C16, extensively altered and partly refaced late C18/early C19. MATERIALS: C12 red Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, squared coursed rubble above, rendered rear with limestone dressings, rubble ridge stacks and a slate roof. PLAN: single-depth plan, formerly to the S side of the cloister, with a SW vaulted through passage. Norman-style gateway with Perpendicular Gothic style fenestration. The former frater forms the left-hand half of the school building, and had a courtyard to the right; to the rear was a lesser cloister. EXTERIOR: N elevation 3 storeys and basement; 4-window range. The right-hand rubble section has a late C12 two-centre arch of 3 orders with stiff leaf capitals to hollow-moulded arches, an inner arch of cusped trefoil, and a doorway with shouldered lintel and strap hinges; to the right is a weathered corbel relating to the former cloisters, and to the left a blocked entrance with straight joints. Early C16 windows are set in flat-headed hollow-moulded frames, with mullions to ogee heads with cinquefoils, and with small panel tracery upper lights on the second floor. The main section to the left is refaced in early C19 ashlar to the lower 2 floors, symmetrical with drips to the ground and first floors, with C16 second-floor windows, cornice and parapet. Central Tudor-arched doorway with splayed reveals and ridge door; 2 ovolo-moulded 3-light mullion windows each side with octagonal leaded casements, with 3 paired first- and second-floor windows, separated on the first floor by (C18?) buttresses supported on corbels, and a 4-light window over the arch. The rear elevation is in 3 sections. Left-hand rubble 1-window block has a restored basement doorway to the left with moulded arch, 2 small lancets to the right; a drip mould half way up the tall first-floor window, of 4 lights with 2 lower transoms, and a smaller 4-light window above. The middle section is rendered, 3 storeys and 7 windows, with drip moulds to each floor and a roll-top coping. Four 3-light first-floor windows have elliptical-arched heads, the right-hand pair with leaded lights as the front. The upper floor has single windows to the left, the rest paired, with those on the third floor separated by buttresses. The right-hand section is a rubble 2 storey, 1-window range, with a tall elliptical-arched lower cross window with cinquefoil-headed lights, and an upper 3-light window with sunken spandrels. The left-hand return has a jamb from a C16 fireplace at ground-floor level. INTERIOR: extensively remodelled C19. Details include a vaulted passage at the rear to the right, with 2 Tudor-arches, the W arch with moulded surround and an ashlar relieving arch with a heraldic shield. The room above the C12 arch was an open hall, now with a C20 mezzanine. A passage runs along the front of the building, with a C19 open-well stair from the entrance hall with cast-iron stick balusters and column newel. The Headmaster's room has an Adam-style fire surround with fluted mantle, cast-iron hob grate with pointed-arched moulding, and to the left a semicircular-arched niche cupboard. HISTORICAL NOTE: the former frater forms the left-hand half of the school building, and had a courtyard to the right. To the rear was a lesser cloister. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 385; Archaeologica: 1911-).

Listing NGR: ST5834672641

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379306

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 385
'Archaeologia' in Archaeologia , (1911)

End of official listing