CASTLE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1355168
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1974
Statutory Address:
CASTLE HOUSE, QUEEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CASTLE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355168 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 23:40:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CASTLE HOUSE, QUEEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Bridgwater
National Grid Reference:
ST 29980 37121

Details

ST 2937 SE BRIDGWATER QUEEN STREET (South side) 736/10/10001 Castle House 16.12.1974

GV II*

House. 1851. For William Ackerman. Brick with pre-cast concrete facing panels, solid concrete, pantile roof with rendered stacks. Double-depth plan including rear range. Early Tudor Revival style. 2 storeys; 2-window range. The front elevation is very ornate, and composed in the manner of an early Tudor gatehouse. The ground-floor walls are constructed in brick with pre-cast concrete facing panels, the walls of the first floor are of solid concrete blocks simulating rusticated jointing. The upper parts of the parapet and mock battlements are rendered brick. Above and below the first floor are friezes formed of perforated pre-cast concrete blocks supported by pre-cast concrete corbels. Projecting concrete drip cills protect the base of the parapets, both friezes and the plinth. The windows are mullioned and transomed 2-light casements with head stops to label moulds. Canted bays to the sides form stair turrets, to front of which, on both floors and attic, are niches with depressed-arched heads, formerly housing painted concrete statues; those to ground floor have head stops to label moulds. To centre of the front is a small single-storey canted bay with a single window and panelled parapet above. The doorway under a hood on consoles is to left and entrance to a stair turret is in the corner to far left. INTERIOR: there is extensive concrete work within the house including staircases, handrails and window frames, all prefabricated at John Board's works. The structure seems to be held together with tie-bars and one section of roof trusses is made out of reinforced brickwork, made to look like a cruck frame or parabolic arch. An early and significant use of concrete, for both decorative and structural purposes. History: probably one of the earliest surviving examples of the use of prefabricated concrete and constructional post-tensioning. The house contains a wide variety of castings, mostly as ornament but with enough items carrying loads to be classified as of minor structural importance; it shows an innovative interpretation of traditional masonry features in concrete and a relatively early method of reinforcement in the structure. Castle House is associated with two important Sedgemoor families, the Boards and the Ackermans; John Board (1802-1861) who extended his family's brick company into cement in 1844, and his grandson William Ackerman who joined the company in 1871 and is credited with the first 'true' Portland cement.



-



Listing NGR: ST2998237125

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373965
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16948/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].