12, 14 AND 16, CLOTH MARKET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1355229

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Jun-2003

Statutory Address: 12, 14 AND 16, CLOTH MARKET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 12, 14 AND 16, CLOTH MARKET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355229 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 02:16:46.

Location

Statutory Address: 12, 14 AND 16, CLOTH MARKET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 24936 64088

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE

1833/20/196 CLOTH MARKET 30-MAR-87 (East side) 12, 14 AND 16 (Formerly listed as: CLOTH MARKET 14 AND 16)

GV II*



Houses, now shops and business premises, formerly the White Hart Inn. Late C16, incorporating some medieval fabric, refronted late C18, with late C19-early C20 shops. Flemish bond brick, colourwashed with moulded stone eaves cornice, refronting timber framing. No.12 remodelled 1924 by Stockwell and Ditchburn. Welsh slate roof with tiled ridge. Main street front of 3 storeys, 4 bays. In 3rd bay a vehicle entrance to White Hart yard. 3 small C 19 shop-fronts in other bays. Upper windows replaced sashes under flat gauged brick arches. Old stonework in rear wall. Rear wing to White Hart yard 2 storeys, 4 bays, irregular. Early Cl9 mock timbered and pebble-dashed facade. Elaborate central doorway flanked by large shop windows with sash windows above; seventeenth-century window. To left the rendered section with a deep plinth has a moulded and 4-centred arched doorway. INTERIOR: ground floor of bay to left of yard entrance has very heavy ceiling beams. Some interval partitions have timber studding. The whole first floor is one large 4-bay room. Heavy beams divide the bays and between these are close-set joists with trilobe mouldings and elegantly run-out stops. In southern part of rear wall a stone fireplace with massive chamfered lintel and solid jambs corbelled-out in two stages to support the lintel. Jambs are chamfered on shaft to corbels and have small broaches at top and bottom. At north end of room a smaller similar fireplace whose right jamb is damaged and left jamb rebuilt in brick. All these features appear to be late C16 and original. In rear wing which is part of No 16, the first floor ceiling shows similar heavy beams, but no visible joists.

These buildings occupy medieval burgage plots, rare survivals in Newcastle, and retain considerable amounts of early fabric behind later facades.



Listing NGR: NZ2493664088

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 304504

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing