RAGLEY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1355348

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: RAGLEY HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of RAGLEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355348 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 06:08:34.

Location

Statutory Address: RAGLEY HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Arrow with Weethley

National Grid Reference: SP 07197 55538

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP05NE ARROW

2/8 Ragley Hall 01/02/67 I

Large country house. 1680-83, by 'Mr. Holbert' (William Hurlbert), with considerable modifications by Robert Hooke, for the Earl of Conway. Interior: c.1750-56 by James Gibbs. Alterations and some interiors by James Wyatt 1778- 1783. Alterations by William Tasker 1871-73. Lias with white oolite dressings. Hipped roofs and flats of slate, lead and concrete tiles, with stone chimneys. Quoins, string courses, modillion cornice and balustrade at roof level. Double-pile plan with corner pavilions. 2 storeys and raised basement, 3:3:3:3:3 bays. 3-bay giant portico by Wyatt of 4 unfluted Ionic columns and pediment, and 2-armed staircase with curved ends of rusticated stone with wrought iron balustrade and lanterns. Entrance: 3 round-arched French doors in moulded stone surrounds. Late C18 sash windows: 18-pane to piano nobile, 15-pane to second floor. Basement windows in Gibbs surrounds, 1st and 2nd floor windows have shouldered architraves, 1st floor with bolection moulding also. Garden front similar but without portico or stairs. 3-bay centre projects slightly and has attic by Wyatt of 3 round windows. All other windows straight-headed. 1st floor has balustraded balcony by Tasker between the pavilions, resting on Tuscan columns. 2 big panelled stacks. North and south fronts: 3-bay pavilions and deeply recessed centre of 2 pairs of high arched windows on the 1st floor. Interior: Great Hall of 2 storeys, on grand scale. Baroque treatment of coupled pilasters and high coved ceiling with penetrations, and busts and vases on brackets, but with lavish Rococo plasterwork attributed to Vassali (Buildings of England). Several rooms have mid C18 carved and moulded doorcases. Study to left of Hall has Rococo plaster ceiling and frieze and late C18 chimney piece. Library on south front simple crested bookcases and carved overdoors of swags in the manner of Grinling Gibbons. Blue room to right of Hall has Rococo plasterwork, chimney piece and overmantel relief of bacchic children. Small Dining Room has Rococo ceiling with relief of Leda and the Swan, and lively carved Rococo overmantel attributed to Thomas H. Kendall (Guide book). Great Dining Room on north front by Wyatt, partially redecorated by Tasker, with restrained decoration of panels etc. North and south staircases in balancing positions: Grand early C18 style dog-leg stairs with quarter landings and Greek key motif stringing; by Tasker. North staircase of oak; underside has inlaid panels and rosettes. South stair- case painted, and has late C20 mural by Graham Rust, completed 1982. Red Saloon in centre of garden front, Mauve Drawing Room and Ante Room by Wyatt have delicate neoclassical decoration and fine panelled doors. Green Drawing Room again with Rococo ceiling and late C18 chimney piece. Vaulted basement. After Lord Conway's death in 1683 the house remained unfinished until the 1750s. The Great Hall is considered to be one of the finest mid C18 interiors. The grounds were landscapted by Capability Brown in the 1750s. (V.C.H. : Warwickshire, p. 27; Buildings of England : Warwickshire, pp.380-382; The Marquess of Hertford : Ragley Hall (guide book); G.C. Tyack : Country House Building in Warwickshire 1500-1914 (PHY thesis); Arthur Oswald : Ragley Hall, Warwickshire, Country Life 1st May 195 pp.938-941 and 8th May 1958 pp.l006- 1009; P. Leach :'Ragley Hall' Royal Archaeological Institute Summer Meeting at Warwick 1971, in Archaeological Journal CXXVIII pp.230-233).

Listing NGR: SP0719755538

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 305020

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 27
Hertford, Marquess of , Ragley Hall Guide Book
Leach, P , Ragley Hall
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 380-382
Tyack, G C , Country House Building in Warwickshire 1500-1914
'Country Life' in 8 May, (1958), 1006-1009
'Country Life' in 1 May, (1958), 938-941
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, (1971)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 42 Warwickshire,

End of official listing